Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Walk of Unwavering Faith

"Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of His great power and mighty strength not one of them is missing. Why do you say, O Jacob, and complain, O Israel, 'My way is hidden from the Lord; my cause is disregarded by my God'? Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom." ~Isaiah 40:26-28, NIV

The Lord is teaching me to trust Him, to rely upon and depend on Him. Totally. I'm not there in every moment of every day yet, but my steps are becoming more sure as I train myself to focus on eternal purposes. I am learning that if my life belongs to Him then I can be SURE that nothing comes my way without His knowledge. I can be SURE that any event in my life has eternal purpose. Any event. Big or small. I am learning the ability to walk in unwavering faith because I know the One who hung the stars and that One knows my name.

Phenomenal, isn't it?

Let me give you an example the Lord reminded me of: Years ago David and I were traveling from Charleston, SC to eastern NC to candidate for our first church. An eighteen-wheeler hauling lumber sped down the highway in front of us. We were giddy with anticipation as we traveled down the road that led to our dreams. We talked and laughed and...WE MISSED I26. How in the world do you miss a major interstate? There are signs everywhere! Oh my goodness. A few miles down the road we found a place to turn around and navigated our way back to I26. We had only been on the interstate a few miles when we realized people were braking and veering off the road just ahead of us. The lumber on the back of the eighteen wheeler had fallen off onto the highway! If we had not missed I26 we would have been crushed by the falling lumber.

Amazing, isn't it?

God is Sovereign. If I take Him at His Word - and I do - then I walk in the knowledge that He is in control of my life. He is in control of your life, also, and He holds our world in His mighty hands. I find comfort in this powerful thought. Every tiny detail of our lives is governed by a loving God. If only we could remember this.

The next time you get behind someone driving way too slow, consider this: Maybe the Lord is protecting you from a head-on collision around the next bend.

See what I mean? It's a new way of thinking.

Father, What an incredible Truth. Help us walk in this knowledge. Help us walk in the way of unwavering faith, trusting You fully, finding You in every moment of every day. Open our eyes that we might see and know that You, indeed, are Lord.

4 comments :

  1. Oh, I am so into this! And being tested on this! And shall pass this!! :)
    Lvyou, Nanakins!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so crazy! You make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is in control and as your devotional points out, it's all His will and His plan for us. Beautiful devotional like always, Nan. Praise God for you; you're a blessing. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Barb. I'm so glad you were able to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete