Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Scriptures of Encouragement ~ As Sure as the Sunrise

Has God ever made you aware of your rebellion towards Him? It's not a pretty picture, is it? Many times I have wandered out from beneath the shadow of His wing because I chose to slosh around in a pool of sorrow and frustration. Yes, I chose to take matters into my own hands. I chose to take my eyes off the One who has never failed me. And I hit bottom. Wandering alone, I quickly became discouraged and overwhelmed. Through the tears, though, I could make out a blurred image of my Heavenly Father watching over me. I could hear Him affectionately calling my name. Even in the midst of a rebellious heart, God never left my side and, because of this, I  was able to "keep a grip on hope".

"I remember it all - oh, how well I remember - the feeling of hitting the bottom. But there's one other thing I remember, and remembering, I keep a grip on hope. GOD's loyal love couldn't have run out, His merciful love couldn't have dried up. They're new every morning. How great is Your faithfulness! I'm sticking with GOD (I say it over and over). He's all I've got left." ~ Lamentations 3:19-24, The Message

Sweet friend, He has never left your side either.

The Hebrew word for hope in this passage is yachal. Yachal means to "steadfastly expect His mercy, His salvation, and His rescue, and while waiting, not take matters into one's own hand." Expectation is of utmost importance here.

When I was pregnant with each of our three children I lived in constant expectation. I knew that I knew that at the appointed time I would hold my child in my arms. The expectation gave me strength to endure the sleepless nights and the morning rendezvous with the bathroom. The expectation caused me to prepare for something I had not yet seen because I knew what pregnancy entailed.

Faith is like that. Hoping in the Lord, yachal, is like that. When we develop our relationship with God in such a way that we know Him, then our fears can quickly give way to expectation. Like Jeremiah (the author of Lamentations), we are able to know and remember His steadfast love. We can remember God's mercies, His faithfulness. We can remember because He has shown Himself to be steadfast, immovable - faithful. Oh my goodness, how faithful is our God!

And when we remember, we can keep a grip on hope. The Good News Bible reads, "The Lord's unfailing love and mercy still continue, fresh as the morning, as sure as the sunrise" (Lamentations 3:23).

As sure as the sunrise...did you feel your heart skip a beat?



Father, What would we do without Your mercy and Your love? For sure, we would have been consumed by now. But, because of your faithfulness we can grip hope. We can wait expectantly for your intervention. Forgive our stubborn ways. Cleanse us of all pride that causes us to try to handle life in our own strength. We love You, Father, and we stand in awe of your goodness.
*********************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please visit the Morning Glory page to worship with Fernando Ortega as he sings, "Lord of Eternity".



7 comments :

  1. Nan, I needed to be reminded of this truth today. I need to always "keep a grip on hope" even when I feel like giving up. And at one point this weekend, I felt like doing just that. But through the written and spoken word, you reminded me to hold fast to my faith...to make Christ my all in all. Love you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Jamie! By George, I think you've got it - lol! Love you!

      Delete
  2. Yes, it's amazing how my choices decide the direction of my attitude and mentality. Just today I was reminded of Habakkuk 3:17-18...

    Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
    though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
    though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,
    yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.

    That's where I need to focus. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonda, you are so right. "Choices" is such a simple word, yet has powerful implications. That verse from Habakkuk is one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I wandered out from beneath his wing a couple of weeks ago. I thought "I can take care of this. I can drinf a couple or 3 beers. That will ease my hurt; my anguish. No one will have to know, right?" Well, let me tell you, that was a big fat WRONG. Someone did know. God knew; and I knew. And afterward, I felt so ashamed. I had quit drinking some time back and had been so proud of myself. I threw that in the garbage. I was no longer proud of myself. And I can now honestly say" I never want to hurt God again. I think I learned my leasson. When I am feeling hurt and anger and pain, God is the only one that will shelter me. He will release my inner demons. Why? Because I am His treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, you continue to amaze me with your insight at such a tender spiritual age. Thank you for your transparency. That is how we help others in their journey, for each of us fall short of God's glory and each of us are equal at the foot of the cross. I love you little Rose.

      Delete
  4. I wandered out from beneath his wing a couple of weeks ago. I thought "I can take care of this. I can drinf a couple or 3 beers. That will ease my hurt; my anguish. No one will have to know, right?" Well, let me tell you, that was a big fat WRONG. Someone did know. God knew; and I knew. And afterward, I felt so ashamed. I had quit drinking some time back and had been so proud of myself. I threw that in the garbage. I was no longer proud of myself. And I can now honestly say" I never want to hurt God again. I think I learned my leasson. When I am feeling hurt and anger and pain, God is the only one that will shelter me. He will release my inner demons. Why? Because I am His treasure.

    ReplyDelete