Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Calling Upon the Name of the Lord

"For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His Name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
(Isaiah 9:6)


I love, love, LOVE when the Lord shows me something new. Don't you?

Isaiah 9:6 is a familiar verse during the Christmas season...
Preachers preach it.
Christmas cards proclaim it.
And children recite it.

And this is the fresh insight God has given me concerning it:


"And His Name will be CALLED Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." In the past I thought this meant that Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God and the other names that follow were the different names given to Jesus. And yes, this is true. Each of these names represent the different attributes of our Redeemer. Amazing.

But consider this. The Hebrew word for call is qara' (kah-rah) which "describes the ACT OF CALLING out loudly in an attempt to get someone's attention."

Imagine at the moment of your need, CALLING upon the Name of the Lord:

JESUS, my Counselor, what should I do?
JESUS, Prince of Peace, set me free from my anxious thoughts.
JESUS, Mighty God, deliver me with Your power.


Do you see the difference? Rather than these precious names being the names God called His Son, they are, in fact, the names that WE are to call out - shout loudly in order to get His attention - at our point of need.

It's a whole different perspective, isn't it?

"For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His Name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."


God is good.

Thank You, Lord. This is so wonderful. Just a little tweak of a word and greater understanding is gained. I am so thankful that You are all we ever need. You are the Great I AM, the Counselor and Prince of Peace. As the earth calls out Your Name, I, too, call upon my Lord. Thank You for that privilege. I love You, Lord.

No comments :

Post a Comment