Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Who Will Love You for You?

"When Jesus looked out over the crowds, His heart broke. So confused and aimless they were, like sheep with no shepherd." ~Matthew 9:36, The Message

Her name was Mary.
Mary lived in a cardboard box beneath the interstate bridge.

I met her at the Hickory soup kitchen. Mary was dirty. Her matted hair hung in strings over her crystal blue eyes that darted back and forth as we talked. Actually, I did all the talking. Mary hung her head in silence.

"Mary," I said. "I think this coat will fit you."

She cocked her head and shifted her gaze towards the jacket. And then she looked back at her feet.

"Here. Let's see how it does. This blue will be so pretty on you."

Slowly, Mary lifted her head and looked at me. I saw emptiness. A blank stare. I saw a woman who desperately needed to be loved - a life which desperately needed restoration.

She allowed me to help her with the jacket. The fit was made in heaven - perfect in a way that only God could make perfect. Mary ran her fingers through her hair. She held her head a little higher.

"Mary, you are so beautiful. May I give you a hug?"

She did not answer with her voice, but with her body Mary leaned into my embrace. I held this woman, broken in many, many pieces. I felt a warm wetness against my cheek - a tear escaping her fortress of shame and loneliness.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"Mary, may I pray with you? God loves you. He weeps over your brokenness. He wants you to know Him, to let Him into your darkness. Please, may I pray with you?"

Mary didn't speak, but she nodded and rubbed a dirty hand against her tear-stained face. She allowed me to pray with her. She wanted to know about this Jesus that holds my life together. She was hungry for the love of God.

When Jesus looked out over the crowds, His heart broke. He was moved with compassion for He knew that the people were like sheep without a shepherd. He spoke to His disciples, "The harvest is great, but the workers are few. So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask Him to send more workers into His fields" (Matthew 9:37, NLT)

Will you answer His call? Will you let His love overflow through you into the lives of others? It's not complicated. Just be available. The Lord will do the rest.



Father, forgive us for sometimes being calloused when it comes to sharing Your love with others. It is usually not because of lack of faith or desire. Lord, many times we just don't feel adequate. Please strengthen us to do Your will, to share with any and all You put in our paths. Pour confidence into us - confidence and understanding that it is not by might, nor by power, but by Your Spirit. We need only to be a vessel from which You pour out Your grace and love and hope. Thank You for teaching us. Thank You for holding our hands as we step out in obedience to Your Word and walk the fields of Your harvest. We love You Lord and we give You praise.
*************************************************************************************
If you have received Morning Glory via email, please go to the Morning Glory page to view an inspiring video by JJ Heller, "What Love Really Means".

2 comments :

  1. I'm sorry you're having computer issues. But thanks for sticking with it in order to share your teachings with us. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vonda. I don't understand what causes that to happen sometimes, but I will "Write One!" lol! Love you.

    ReplyDelete