Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Scriptures of Encouragement ~ TESTING. 1.2.3.

My husband made a very profound statement in his sermon Sunday morning. Wanna know what it was? He said, "Look at the first four letters of the word testimony. What does it spell? T-E-S-T. Test."

Now that got this old girl thinking.
How can we have a testimony of God's greatness without the test?

In Exodus 14, the children of Israel were preparing to cross the Red Sea. The Egyptians were in hot pursuit and without God's intervention, the Israelites would be destroyed. Many of us know the end of the story: the walls of the Red Sea rolled back so that God's people could cross on dry land. When the Egyptians followed, the sea crashed over them, killing them all. End of story.

But do you know the beginning of the story?

"Then I [The Lord] will harden Pharaoh's heart, so that he will pursue them; and I will gain honor over Pharaoh and over all his army, that the Egyptians may know that I am the Lord." ~ Exodus 14:4

Did you catch that? The LORD caused Pharaoh to pursue His children! Oh my goodness! Why would He do that? So they would have a TESTimony! Exodus 14:31 reads, "Thus Israel saw the great work which the Lord had done in Egypt so that people feared the Lord, and believed the Lord and His servant Moses." Not only did the miracle of the Red Sea teach the Egyptians Who they were messing with, but God's people saw and believed. No more could they doubt that God was for them.

Witnessing God's faithfulness creates milestones in our walk of faith. God knows this. I believe He loves to show Himself strong in the lives of His children and thus allows difficulties - tests - so that we can behold His power and love. He doesn't desire to trip us up, to get us off track. That would be called a temptation. God does not tempt His children, but He does allow tests or trials to come our way so that we will believe and trust Him more and so that we will stand amazed at His power.

"Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience (or endurance). But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing." ~ James 1:2-4, NKJV

Are you facing a trial? Are difficulties crashing over you like the Red Sea and you're trying to stay ahead of the deadly waves? Stop. Take a deep breath and listen to the words of Moses, "Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you today" ~ Exodus 14:13.


Praise You Father! We glorify Your holy Name! Lord, I am so thankful that You have a plan for each of Your children and nothing or no one will stand in Your way. Enlighten the eyes of our hearts to understand that our trials have eternal purpose and our trials are an opportunity for You to show Yourself strong on our behalf - if only we would trust and obey Your guidance. Nothing is impossible with You, Lord. Nothing. I ask that You would encourage my readers today. Fill them with overflowing faith and hope, knowing this: that the trying of their faith working patience and when patience completes its work we will find ourselves with mature faith, lacking nothing. Please open our eyes to see Lord. Thank You for Your faithfulness.
*************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please visit the Morning Glory page to be encouraged in the Lord as the Crabb family sings, "He'll Make A Way".

9 comments :

  1. I love this description of testimony. Thank you for sharing it.

    A friend of mine once said that depending on how we handle a struggle, we're either giving a testimony or we're just a moany. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love it too! I believe I'll have to remember that one. Thank you for stopping by. Love you!

      Delete
  2. Oh Nan, this was wonderful as always! First off, you're not old by any means, my dear! I've never thought of it that way before, but it does make you think. You have to have a test before you can have a testimony. Thank you for getting my attention in such a powerful way. Love you my precious friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have certainly had your share of TESTimony making lately! Happy you are finding the victory in the midst of your struggles. love you!

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Nan! This took me through the day, as we had one of those "tests", and now a testimony!!! God knows just what we need, and When we need it...
    lvya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes He does! I am so thankful this gave you strength for the journey. I love you Mid :)

      Delete
  4. Well dear friend, I believe we have all had our share of tests lately. I don't know about you, but I always look to God MORE durng difficult times. Just like the song "Jesus Bring The Rain", if trials bring me closer to Him, then bring it. I had never thought of testimony having test in it until David said that. Pretty awesome though. Thanks for the encouraging post. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well dear friend, I believe we have all had our share of tests lately. I don't know about you, but I always look to God MORE durng difficult times. Just like the song "Jesus Bring The Rain", if trials bring me closer to Him, then bring it. I had never thought of testimony having test in it until David said that. Pretty awesome though. Thanks for the encouraging post. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you too Christina. I remind myself of the refiner's fire too when I am going through a test. Remember? The silversmith sits right by the fire while the silver is being purified. He doesn't take his eyes off it so that he can remove it at just the right moment. A moment longer and the silver would be destroyed. Reminds me of El Roi, the God who sees and knows all about it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete