Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Scriptures of Encouragement ~ When the Praise Begins to Rise

The air felt sticky. Blazing hot. I rocked on the porch swing trying to cool off. My porch - my swing - seems to be a place I can find solitude with the Lord. As I rocked back and forth, He brought something to my attention: the air was still.

Yes, the air was still. It seemed as though the whole earth had ceased its striving. There was no breeze. No movement in the trees. A doe stepped out of the forest across the street, making her way to the creek, but mid-stride, she, too, stopped.

Everything was quiet.

I immediately thought of Psalm 46:10,  
"Be still and know that I AM God."

Be still..."Yes, Lord. I'm listening. Open my ears to hear You. Open my eyes to see You," I prayed.

Still. Quiet. Peace.

Then the symphony began. In the midst of the quiet came a song. Many songs. The birds of the air sang praise to their Creator. Birds of many colors sang in harmony, filling the air with acclamation of God's glory.

It was beautiful. So beautiful.

Within moments, a rain shower fell from the heavens. It wasn't a downpour - just a summer shower to replenish the earth. The air cooled. A slight breeze began to blow.

And the birds continued their song.

I have learned that when I make my stubborn self sit still - cease striving - and focus on the goodness of the Lord, it won't be long until praise begins to rise in my soul. It isn't long before His amazing grace begins to fall like rain to replenish my parched spirit. 

I sat still and listened. "Child, You are learning to walk in My Presence. You are learning to still your restless spirit and concentrate on Me - to focus on Me instead of your problems. That is good. Just as surely as your stillness comes, the praise will rise. And when the praise begins to rise, my grace will fall. It's a cycle, a pattern, a law of Mine that always holds true. Always. Be still and know that I AM God and ready yourself for the praise and grace to follow. Every time. Without fail. I AM God. There is no other."

Blessed be the Name of the Lord.



*********************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please visit the Morning Glory page. I'm featuring a music video with Rush of Fools singing "Peace Be Still". The one who made the video used scripture throughout to encourage you in the Lord. Are you thirsty? Do you need to feast on God's Word? Watch this video. It will fill you to overflowing with the goodness, the hope, and the promises of our amazing God. Bless you! Nan

9 comments :

  1. Nan, I absolutely love this...as usual! Oh may our praise rise up! And I love Psalm 46:10, as you know. After Sunday, I need to just be still and let him speak. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jamie. We all need to learn this lesson. I love the fact that when we praise Him, His grace begins to fall. What an awesome God we serve. Love you!

      Delete
  2. My dear friend, I love this. It must so nice to have a place of refuge for the soul. A place of quiet to still the heart and focus on the One Who can give us peace as no other can give. I love that verse. I love having the hope it brings to our souls. The peace it instills in us when we meditate on it. Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep Him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You because He trusts in You.". Thank you so much for the reminder in such a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...Marcie. Thank you for your kind words. I've written many a Morning Glory on that porch swing. It's one of my favorite spots. I also love Isaiah 26:3. I'm learning to walk in its Truth. I haven't conquered it, but I've made a lot of progress. Bless you!

      Delete
  3. I could just feel the heat and the stillness. You wrote that so well!

    Keep walking. I think you are getting it right!

    Peace in Christ,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ceil! You are so precious. Thank you for encouraging me. Blessings :)

      Delete
  4. I Love your porch and swing too. I have felt the Lord's gentle presence many of a time there. As I read this it occurred ro me, the birds sang their praises in the midst of the rain as well as when all was quiet. That is what I must learn to do. To sing Him praises in the middles of the rain, not just when everything is peacefull and still. Thank you for helping me to realize this with your sweet words. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good Little Rose. You are so perceptive! Their praise began when everything grew quiet and then it continued and continued no matter what the changing conditions were. You are amazing. I see Jesus in you every day. I love you too.

      Delete
    2. What a great way of saying that Christina! What an encouragement you both are. Thank you!

      Delete