Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Scriptures of Praise ~ Sandpiper Wings

Shabach (shah-vahch). Praise.

I learned something totally amazing today. I can't wait to share it with you.

Imagine a stroll along the seashore. Warm sand squishes between your bare toes. A sea breeze whips through your hair, playfully lashing moist, salty air against your skin. The sun - that celestial, blazing orb - is lowering itself against the ocean's edge. Slowly it descends. Glorious shades of magenta and gold are released into the evening sky. All of creation, in that moment, shouts praise to its Creator.

That's the kind of praise we're familiar with. Sheer joy. Awe. Wonder. Something inexplicably deep within that rejoices and proclaims the goodness of the Lord. Shabach.

A sandpiper skips along the ocean's edge. A thunderhead begins building its tower along the horizon - beautiful in its form, fearful in its power. The once playful wind intensifies, catching you off guard. As you bend into the wind, turning your head against the sand blasting your face, you see the little sandpiper. His skip has turned into a full-out run. He spreads his wings and lifts from the sandy shore. Up, up he goes. He's not battling the wind. He's gliding, coasting and then joining his wings in rhythm to the turbulence ushering him towards the heavens where he soars. Shabach.

"O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water. So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and Your glory.

"Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips shall praise You. Thus I will bless You while I live" ~ Psalm 63:1-4a

Shabach. Praise.

Shabach's meaning reflects two different directions. One is "praising" as we know it. The other is "calming" - to still or quiet someone or something. For instance, Psalm 89:9 reads, "You rule the raging of the sea; When its waves rise, You still them." Shabach.

There's a connection between praising with words and quieting or soothing with words. And you wanna know what that makes me think of? It reminds me of a quote I live by: "When you can't praise the Lord for your circumstances, you can always praise Him for who He is" ~ author unknown.

Think about that. When you can't praise God for what's happening in your life, you can always praise Him for who He is. Like the wings of the tiny sandpiper in the face of the impending storm, Shabach lifts us towards the heavens. It soothes our soul; it quiets our restless spirits.

And it gives honor and glory to our God.



Father God, You alone are worthy of our praise. You are a great God, full of wonder, mighty in power. How excellent is Your Name in all the earth! We love You, Lord.
*********************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, I am begging you **wink** to visit the Morning Glory page. I'm featuring a music video titled, "Psalm 8 - The Praise & Worship Song" by Richard Smallwood and his choir. It's long - nine minutes. But can't we all give the Lord nine minutes to worship Him? Yes, I think so. You can even listen to the video as you search your emails or something. I know in my knower these few minutes of worship will make your day. Bless you sweet friends.

No comments :

Post a Comment