Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Scriptures of Encouragement ~ A Serenade of Praise

Sweat trickled down my brow, followed the curvature of my face, and hung like a giant teardrop off the tip of my nose. I wiped it away with a crumpled paper towel. The afternoon was a scorcher. I stopped hoeing to sip on ice cold water. My body was screaming for a reprieve, but the job had to be done. If I didn't take time to stir up the soil and remove unwanted weeds, my garden could not reach its full potential.

I wanted to give up, but I didn't.

As the afternoon wore on my fibro fatigue and pain began to set in. I was almost finished - just two more rows of corn to hoe. "Lord, when I am weak, You promise to be strong. I need Your strength to finish Lord. Please help me."

From behind me, a beautiful melody drifted on the breeze. It came from the direction of the creek. I turned towards the song and searched the sky for my angelic visitor. There on a branch shading the creek perched my warbler. His song carried my thoughts to the Savior. His song made my heart smile, and my body stand a little stronger.

I leaned heavy on my hoe, closed my eyes, and let the heavenly serenade fill my weary spirit. 

The songbird's praise bathed me with the joy and wonder of the Lord. I was reminded that we are never alone when we are a child of the Most High God. He is with us. Always. 

                                  "Let the field be joyful
                                      and all that is in it. 
                            Then all the trees of the woods will
                  rejoice before the Lord."*

Oh my. Isn't that a lovely thought? When I heard the bird's serenade of praise to its Creator, my focus became Jesus. My tired body and weary spirit became secondary. Strength rose within me. Hope surged. 

And peace like a river flowed along the notes of his song, rising and falling on the breeze until it penetrated my heart.

Dear One, in His Presence is fullness of joy.

I pray that we all would open our ears to hear His song.

*Psalm 96:12



Father God, We praise You, for You alone are worthy to be praised. You are mighty! You are full of wonder; Your love knows no bounds. Open our eyes that we might see You in our midst. Open our ears that we might hear Your song. How do we fathom how great You are? Is it possible, Lord? Expand our minds that we might comprehend Your majesty. Awaken our hearts that we might love You more.
****************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please visit the Morning Glory  page to worship with Fernando Ortega as he sings, "Creation Song". Oh my! What an awesome song! Bless you sweet reader.

















4 comments :

  1. Nan, this was wonderful. So many times, we think our pain, our trial, is so heavy. But when we start to praise the One who loves us, it all becomes secondary. Thank you so much for such a vivid reminder of this truth. I love you, my precious friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too Jamie girl. Praise is a remarkable key to the Kingdom of God. In our praise we find Jesus.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nan! My sister has fibromyalgia too...she has to be so careful about triggers. And you were out there with a hoe??? You are amazing.

    I could see you out there, leaning on your hoe, just listening. You write so vividly :) So glad you found the joy.

    Happy 4th of July!

    Peace in Christ,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ceil. I call the garden my "dirt therapy". My body pays for it for at least 3 days, but my mind sure is strengthened. I talk pain meds before I go out and I rest frequently. It's difficult, but worth it. Thank you for encouraging me. I really appreciate it.

      Delete