Thursday, September 12, 2013

Scriptures of Holiness ~ When the Morning Stars Sing

Brushstrokes of lavender and orange cream swabbed the evening sky as another day lowered its eyelids. Deep shades of purple and navy rolled in like a wave. The luminous brushstrokes rode the wave back out to an ebony colored sea of night. The stars appeared. I considered the heavens and the Hand that made them.

And I thought of Job.

Job. A righteous man. A good man. A man sifted by Satan because the Lord allowed it, knowing Job's heart would remain faithful to the God of his fathers.

But, never forget that Job was human. He was a man - a man with real feelings, a man with raw emotion as his world crumbled around him. Job was a man who dared to question God - not disrespectfully nor irreverently. Just honestly.

And that brings us back to the stars and how in my darkest night I thought of Job.

"Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said: 'Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements? Surely you know!...Who laid [the earth's] cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? Or, who shut in the sea with doors, when it burst forth...when I said "This far you may come, but no farther, and here your proud waves must stop!"'"

And the holy tongue lashing continued (all because I considered the stars in the night sky).

"Can you lift up your voice to the clouds, that an abundance of water may cover you? Can you send out lightnings, that they may go, and say to you, 'Here we are!'? Who has put wisdom in the mind? Or who has given understanding to the heart?"

Well...okay then.

But it didn't stop there. Nope.

"Moreover the Lord answered Nan (Ummm...I mean Job), and said: 'Shall the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him? He who rebukes God, let him answer it.'

"Then Job answered the Lord and said: 'Behold, I am vile; What shall I answer You? I lay my hand over my mouth. Once I have spoken, but I will not answer; Yes, twice, but I will proceed no further.'"

Job was confronted with the holiness of God - His sovereignty over all things.
So was I.

In this exchange, Job came face-to-face with God, and in so doing, had to confront his own self-righteousness. Job recognized his pride and expressed his shame. I had to do the same. I had to acknowledge that I wanted to take back control of dire circumstances because I doubted God's sovereignty. I mean, I didn't realize it at the time, but now it's clear. Either I trusted the Lord or I didn't. Either I believed He is God, or I didn't. If doubt and fear and shameless pride hover about me and color my perspective, then I'm not allowing God to be God.

I love what Job said at the end: "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees You."

Job's relationship with the Lord deepened. Before the difficulties assailed him, his knowledge of God had come mostly from others - the hearing of the ear, but now Job knows the Lord through personal revelation - now my eye sees. Well, GLORY!

And hereto I can say, "My eye sees You, Lord, and understands deeper than ever before. Thank You, Lord. Blessed be Your holy Name!"

As I consider the night sky and the Hand that made it, I hear a song coming up over the ridge. I recognize it this time. It's the melody created when the morning stars sing together.

*Job 38:1,4,6-8,34-36; 40:5



*********************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please visit the Morning Glory  page to worship with Kari Jobe as she sings, "Stars In The Sky". I think you'll love it.


3 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness. This is my favorite one yet. I LOVED the picture you painted for your reader in the first paragraph. I was right there with you staring into an amazing sky. Beautiful! The words painted such an image in my mind, it was almost breathtaking. Thank you for your transparency with your relationship with our Lord. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so precious little Rose. Thank you. I love you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nan! How I love the story of Job. How he finally had to put his hand to his mouth and agree that God was in charge. Blessed be his name, I join you in that praise!

    Love the photo too, just like Christina :) I love looking at the stars.
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete