Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Scriptures of Encouragement ~ Grace Set On Fire

"We'll contact you next week to set up the second interview," she said. 
"Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing from you," he said. He pulled on the heavy glass door and walked with a spring of hope in his step.

That was two weeks ago. After more than two years of unemployment, a spring of hope in his step felt good. Really good. Qualified for the job? Check. Impressive interview? Check. Gifted in areas necessary to fulfill this job well? Check. Interviewer indicated he was perfect for the job? Check.

But he didn't get the job. Here's the kicker: The interviewer was so impressed with my man that she gave his resume' to the director in case another position opened up. What? Are you kidding me? Boy! Talk about deflated hope. Talk about pressing in to Jesus. 

And that's the good news. Really.

There's a verse that many Christians are familiar with, 2 Corinthians 12:9: "And He [Jesus] said to me [Paul], 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness...'" Often we stop there, but let's keep going. The next verse, verse 10, reads, "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Oh my goodness. Say what? These verses are in reference to Paul's "thorn in the flesh" - an unidentified affliction or difficulty that required him to lean on Jesus. On three different occasions Paul asked the Lord to remove this affliction from him. He was denied the request.

We begged God for this "perfect" job and were denied the request.

I know now that the reason is because God - our Daddy God - wants us to have the best. I'm not referring to the 'best' job (although that would be totally awesome). God's best gift of all is to know Him more. We are depending on God for every minute of every day now. Goodness! We have a shoutin' hallelujah time over finding a quarter! No kidding. Happened just last week.

No matter what we face - no matter what you face - God's grace is sufficient. The heart-knowledge of this truth is worth far more than rubies or gold. The heart-knowledge of this truth will not teeter-totter when your world falls apart, when you think you don't have the strength to face another day. His Truth will stand. Always.

And herein lies the truth: God's grace is sufficient because when we can't solve the problem on our own, we realize (through His grace) that nothing is too difficult for the Lord. Nothing. This knowledge takes root in our knower. His power is emboldened by our weakness. His grace is set on fire by His love. His grace washes over us like a refreshing rain, cleansing us of fear and anxiety. It washes the film from our eyes so we can behold our God.

I want you to imagine yourself sitting on a riverbank with Jesus. You feel afraid of the future. You're weary from the struggle. Jesus takes your hand in His, lifts your chin to look you straight in the eye and He says,  "My grace, My favor and loving-kindness and mercy, is enough for you. It is sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully; for My strength and power are made perfect - they are fulfilled and completed, and show themselves most effective in your weakness. Rest in Me, Child and in the knowledge of My grace."*

If God be for us, who can be against us? His grace is more than enough.

Indeed.

*Based on 2 Corinthians 12:9 & 10, Amplified Study Bible



As you listen to this beautiful music video, let it be your prayer today. I believe it must be a recording of a spontaneous time of worship. Close your eyes and let it soak into your spirit. Put all the distractions away for a few minutes and concentrate on Jesus. Be encouraged. God is with you. Always. Sweet blessings to  you...
***************************************************
Are your ladies desiring a prayer retreat or a special evening with Jesus before the busyness of summer is upon us? I would love to spend time with you and God's girls. My website, www.jubilantlight, has all the info or you may contact me directly at nan@jubilantlight.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
****************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please, please go to the Morning Glory page. I found a music video by Julie True that is pure worship. The title is "I Need You Lord, Meet Me Here." It will lift you up above the stress of the day. Bless you!

2 comments :

  1. Oh Nan, I needed this today more than you know. I think you were writing to me when you were typing this. I want to remember this week that His grace is truly sufficient for me and what I'm going through. Thank you so much for your overflowing well of encouragement. The love of the Lord just radiates through you so strongly. Love you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I did think of you as I wrote it. This is one of those AHA moments that we all need to embrace during such difficult times. Like the Lord told Abraham, "I am your exceedingly great reward." There is nothing like knowing - really knowing - the Lord. We learn these lessons through His grace. Love you!

    ReplyDelete