Thursday, April 28, 2011

Deliberately Hurl It

"Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."
(1 Peter 5:7)


This is one of those go-to verses when we feel overwhelmed, isn't it? I looked into it a little farther and I think you'll like what I found.

The Amplified Study Bible reads like this, "Casting the whole of your care (all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all) on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully."

Don't you love that? Casting ALL of our anxieties, ALL of our worries, ALL of our concerns, ONCE AND FOR ALL on Him.

Such a lovely thought.
Easier said than done, isn't it?

Have you ever thought about what the word, "casting" means? Obviously we know that it means to throw something off, or fling something. But, what about this? Casting also means to "deliberately hurl" something.

Deliberately hurl something.
DELIBERATELY!
Love it.


In my mind's eyes I can see myself as a child hurling, throwing...casting my object of concern UP towards heaven. Out of the billowing clouds emerges a mighty hand - one large enough to hold the seas in its hollow, one that is large enough to measure the width of the heavens, one that is large enough to catch and hold my worry.

But, if you notice, God's Hand responded to my deliberate action. He left it up to me to want to be rid of it and to deliberately hurl it to Him.


Maybe that should be our motive...wanting to be rid of it.
Just that thought takes the complicated out of it, doesn't it? Satan doesn't want us to be free of our worries. He doesn't want us to simplify God's truths. He wants us to wallow in self-pity. He wants us to focus on the worry so much that we can't see the hand of God reaching, waiting for us to throw that thing off.

Want to be rid of it.
I'm going to keep that in mind.
"I want to be rid of it" so I will deliberately hurl it towards heaven where the hand of my Sovereign Lord is waiting.

"Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be shaken." ~ Psalm 55:22


Father, I appreciate You so much. We make things so complicated; You make things so profoundly simple. You know how much Your children wrestle with our worries and anxieties. I think You are grieved when we submit to Satan's taunts and distractions. Thank You for giving us this beautiful image and concept of "just wanting to be rid of it." That is doable, Lord. Thank You. Help us walk in Your ways. You are an awesome and mighty God and we love You.

2 comments :

  1. What a freeing thought, Nan!! God has taken care of everything in our lives through His Son, Yeshua...all we have to do is take the initiative to trust and believe He will do what He says!
    Love it!
    and you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Mid. When the Lord gave me that thought, "I just want to get rid of it", it suddenly put deliberate action to a well known concept of "casting". I found it to be freeing also. I love you sweet friend and treasure our friendship.

    ReplyDelete