Sunday, April 3, 2011

Jerusalem, the City of God

"'If it had not been the Lord who was on our side,'

"Let Israel now say - 'If it had not been the Lord who was on our side, when men rose up against us, then they would have swallowed us alive, when their wrath was kindled against us; Then the waters would have overwhelmed us, the stream would have gone over our soul; Then the swollen waters would have gone over our soul.'

"Blessed be the Lord, Who has not given us as prey to their teeth. Our soul has escaped as a bird from the snare of the fowlers; The snare is broken, and we have escaped. Our help is in the Name of the Lord, Who made heaven and earth."
(Psalm 124)


I was preparing another scripture for today's message when the Lord emphatically led me to Psalm 24 - not necessarily for us, but for the sake of the people of Israel.

Our Jewish brothers and sisters need our prayers.
The Mideast is a region of uncertainty, violence and uproar like never before. Tiny, precious Israel sits surrounded by her enemies.

Attacks on them are increasing.
International support is waning.
And the liberal news media is not reporting the situation accurately.


The Lord our God - the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob - is calling us to pray for His ancient people and the land that He gave them.
We must pray that Israel will be surrounded by warring angels with swords drawn to protect them. We must pray that the hearts of the people will be at peace in the face of grave danger.

It is actually quite simple. The Lord tells us in Psalm 122:6 to "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem."

I don't believe this is a suggestion.
I believe it is the heartbeat of God.

THE HOLY CITY, JERUSALEM
by F. E. Weatherly

Last night I lay a-sleeping, there came a dream so fair,
I stood in old Jerusalem, beside the Temple there.
I heard the children singing, and ever as they sang,
Me thought the voice of angels, from Heaven in answer rang.

Chorus:
Jerusalem, Jerusalem
Lift up your gates and sing;
Hosanna in the highest,
Hosanna to your King.

And then me thought my dream was changed, the streets no longer rang.
But with a glad Hosanna, the little children sang.
The sun grew dark with mystery, the moon was cold and chill,
But the shadow of a cross arose, upon a lonely hill.

Chorus:
Jerusalem, Jerusalem,
Hark, how the angels sing.
Hosanna through the ages,
Hosanna to your King.

Then once again the scene was changed, new earth there seemed to be.
I saw the Holy City, beside the timeless sea.
The Light of God was on its streets, the gates were open wide;
And all who would might enter, and no one was denied.
No need of moon nor stars by night, or sun to shine by day,
It was the new Jerusalem, that would not pass away.

Chorus:
Jerusalem, Jerusalem,
Sing for the night is o'er;
Hosanna in the Highest
Hosanna forevermore.
Hosanna in the highest,
Hosanna forevermore!

Oh! Praise His Name!

Jerusalem. The city of God.

Father, Stir our spirits within us to understand our connection to Israel. Our Savior came from her bosom. We are grafted into Your covenant with Israel. We share a love for You, the One True God. Father, we ask that You will encourage our Jewish brothers and sisters. Let Your perfect love cast away all fear. Send your mighty warring angels to stand guard over her boundaries, to thwart the attacks of the enemies. Grip the wagging tongues that would spread vicious lies about Your people. Convict the media moguls that they MUST report the truth, not their bias. We pray that You would spread Your wings over Your covenant people and shelter them. Let them hear Your heartbeat beating for them. Thank You, Lord. I pray that You will remind us constantly that You want us to pray for the peace of Jerusalem. Bless You, Lord.

3 comments :

  1. Nan... I haven't heard that song sun forever... but the tune and all came back as I read the words!
    Shalu shalom Yerushalayim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mid, I was SOOOO hoping you would see this post. Hopefully a lot of extra prayers will be going up for Israel. I had no idea I was going to include that song until I got to that part and then it just bubbled up in my spirit. I had to google the words, but what a beautiful, poignant song it is.
    I love you sister-friend!
    Shalu Shalom Yerushalayim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray for the peace of Jerusalem always. You have my prayers for Israel.

    ReplyDelete