Thursday, October 13, 2011

I Will Run to Him

"For You are my hope, O Lord God; You are my trust from my youth." ~ Psalm 71:5, NKJV

You are my hope, Lord...
You are my trust.

Over the past several weeks I have been trying to grasp a tangible understanding of these two statements. We toss them in the air so casually, with great intention, but, I think, with a lack of true insight.

Look at the words the Psalmist is using: YOU are my hope. YOU are my trust. David is assigning the Lord the embodiment of these two terms - he is saying that the Lord God is the place of trust, the place of hope to which he can run. In other words, within the Lord's Presence - His being - we find hope and trust. He is where hope and trust reside.

I have needed a lot of hope lately. I have been clinging to trust until my fingertips are bloodied by the effort. But, perhaps I have been clinging to the concepts of hope and trust instead of clinging to the One who embodies hope and trust.

As I pondered these thoughts, I asked the Lord to enlighten the eyes of my heart so that I might understand. With tenderness, He reminded me of the image of my grandson, Jamison, bolting towards his father and then literally leaping into his daddy's arms. I could picture Jamison squealing with delight when he wanted to share a moment of celebration with his dad. I could also hear him screaming horrifically when the tentacles of fear slithered toward him. Both images captured Jamison's natural reaction to life's events and his immediate, natural response: run with all his might and leap into his daddy's arms - the place of trust, the place of hope for the needs of his heart.

Beautiful, isn't it?

Dear ones, I long to run quickly - without hesitancy, as naturally as I breathe - into the arms of my Heavenly Father. He is the place of hope - of expectation. He is the place of trust - a refuge, security, assurance and confidence. It is in the arms of the Lord my God that I find rest from my struggle. It is in His strong arms of incomprehensible love that I find peace.

Won't you run to Him, too? I'll scoot over and we can rest together.



Father, I love You. Thank You for always waiting for me to run to You with my hurts and struggles. Thank You for rejoicing in my celebrations and for holding me even closer when I weep. You are an awesome God. I love You with all of my heart and I desire to give You praise. Bless You, Lord.

No comments :

Post a Comment