Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Scriptures of Encouragement ~ Do Your Enemies Ride Old Nags?

I'm learning to rest in God. I mean, literally. Rest. Relax my tense shoulders and smile as I look into His face.

Rest. Not looking to the left or right. Not looking to the past or future. But rest. Rest in the moment knowing the Sovereign Lord is with me. Right then. In that moment.

I want to share an excerpt from A. J. Russell's devotional, God Calling. It's taken from May 10th.

 "In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength" ~ Isaiah 30:15.

"All agitation is destructive of good. All calm is constructive of good, and at the same time destructive of evil.

"When man wants evil destroyed so often he rushes to action. It is wrong. First be still and know that I am God. Then act only as I tell you. Always calm with God. Calm is trust in action. Only trust, perfect trust can keep one calm.

"Never be afraid of any circumstances or difficulties that help you to cultivate this calm. As the world, to attain, has to learn speed, you, to attain, have to learn calm. All great work for Me is done first in the individual soul of the worker."

Isn't that good?

I looked up Isaiah 30:15, and also verse 16, in The Message. I have to admit the imagery made me giggle because this interpretation paints the perfect picture of our frantic activity to fix something.

"God, the Master, The Holy of Israel, has this solemn counsel: 'Your salvation requires you to turn back to Me and stop your silly efforts to save yourselves. Your strength will come from settling down in complete dependence on Me - the very thing you've been unwilling to do.

"' You've said, "Nothing doing! We'll rush off on horseback!" You'll rush off, all right! Just not far enough! You've said, "We'll ride off on fast horses!" Do you think your pursuers ride old nags?'"

Don't you love that? "Do you think your pursuers ride old nags?"

The next time I want to run ahead of God I'm gonna do my best to remember this imagery. And then I'm going to stop in my tracks, look towards heaven, and say, "Okay, Lord. I'm listening. Mind if I curl up with You for awhile?"

Rest. Calm. Trust.
Only trust, perfect trust, can keep us calm.



***********************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please visit the Morning Glory  page. I'm featuring Julie True singing, "Oh My Soul". This song will carry you into the arms of Jesus. Bless you sweet friends.

4 comments :

  1. Nan, thank you for this timely post. I needed it...especially in light of this upcoming week. It's getting closer, and I'm now a nervous wreck. I have no idea what to expect...so thank you for reminding me that I just need to rest. I need to rest in Him. Love you, precious friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I'm so proud of you for going. You're going to have a blast. PLUS, you'll have lots of friends surrounding you. I can't wait to hear all of your stories when you get home. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest.Yes. Rest in Him. Thank You Nan. Oh how sweet the thought..to rest. Much much needed. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I think this is the message the Lord wants His children to learn. Life is so hard, but we find peace in His Presence. I love you Doodle.

    ReplyDelete