Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Finding God's Presence ~ How I Found My Pearl Of Great Price

by Nan Jones   @NanJonesAuthor

I stepped onto the porch. Chilly morning air whooshed around me, rippling the small puddle at the edge of the steps. Rimming the perimeter of the porch were dozens of daylilies bursting through the fallow ground, daring the lingering winter chill to stifle their new beginning.

Rain showers the night before left the earth moist. Morning sun lit up the tiny droplets like a sprinkling of diamond dust scattered across my yard. Taking notice of the brave young daylilies challenging the cold morning, I gasped. A clump of the newborns appeared to be laden with pearls. It was so odd. The water droplets on the fragile leaves were large, and rather than glistening clear like diamonds, they appeared milky white in their reflection of the sun. Milky white like pearls.

I recognized a stirring in my spirit.

This was a God-moment. 

In Matthew 13:45-46, Jesus said, “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it" (NIV).

I have been seeking the Lord with all my heart lately - even more than usual. I've been asking for clear direction, abundant grace to heal my broken heart, and miraculous provision as I take a step of faith into full-time ministry through my writing and speaking. When the Lord shone His heavenly light on these pearls of raindrops I knew that I knew I had listened to His direction in my life. I had found a pearl of great value - Jesus, Himself. I knew that He was confirming my faith-walk to pick up my cross and follow Him wherever that may lead and regardless of how frightened I might feel at times. I knew I had blessed the Lord with my decisions. 

A pearl is formed of an irritant - a tiny sandstone that finds its way under the oyster shell.To avoid irritation, the oyster produces a protective coating called nacre. Nacre is the same substance as the mantle, or part of the shell that covers the oyster's organs. 

I thought of my own shell. My own irritants. 

As I looked closely at the white "pearl" drops on the daylilies I realized that  what Satan meant for evil, the Lord promised to use for good. The irritant - the brokenness and betrayal and utter loss of life as I knew it was becoming a pearl. Layer upon layer of God's grace smoothed out the rough edges. Layer upon layer of my walls of self-preservation were beginning to take on an iridescent glow as my life began to reflect Jesus once again.

A pearl of great price. 

I've given everything I have to purchase it and follow Jesus.

A Tweetable to Encourage Others
Where is God when my life as I know it is changing? @NanJonesAuthor offers a glimpse. (click to tweet)

****************************************************************
Are you looking for a speaker for your next ladies' event? I would love to chat with you about it. My website is www.NanJones.com where you can find out more. Feel free to contact me at nan@jubilantlight.com. Here's a glimpse at how I can help your ladies find the nearness of God when they need Him the most:



No comments :

Post a Comment