Saturday, November 6, 2010

We Press On

"Not that I have already obtained it, or am already perfected; but I press on that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me."
(Philippians 3:12)


Can you imagine this? This is the apostle Paul speaking to the Christians at the Church of Philippi. He is telling them that he, too, still has a lot to learn - that he has not yet arrived. I can relate, can't you?

Paul understands that faith is to be developed; Truth is to be sought after - it doesn't just happen. And, he understands that NOTHING compares to knowing Jesus and Him crucified.

Don't you love the imagery of his phrase, "but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me"?

"I press on."

This is strange, I know, but in my mind I keep picturing a frontiersman scouting out uncharted land. He's caught in a howling blizzard, snow is whipping all about him, blinding him from his trail. Through the fury he can see a light on a distant mountain. He knows the light is a refuge. He knows that life awaits him if he doesn't succumb to the ravages of the storm - if he doesn't give up. This strong pioneer raises his arm and bends it over his brow. He leans into the wind and shields his eyes from the onslaught of snow. He sets his jaw in determination and quickens his step. This brave soul presses on toward the light.

I realize that's a bit dramatic but, we too, are pioneers, sojourners - yes, disciples- trying to find our way.

And we press on.

We press on toward the Light of Jesus.


Father, I am encouraged to know that Paul also had to determine in his will not to give up short of knowing You. Your mysteries beckon to be discovered and understood. I want to know You, Lord. I want to press on - press in - to discover Your hidden treasures. Your Word thrills me and causes me to hunger for more. Thank You, Lord. You are more wonderful than words can say.

2 comments :

  1. True hidden treasures, indeed, so keep pressing on; keep going toward the light. Beautiful job, Nan. Blessings, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement, my faithful friend. Love you! Nan

    ReplyDelete