Monday, November 22, 2010

With Total Abandon

"Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands! Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before His Presence with singing. Know that the Lord, He is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting and His truth endures to all generations."
(Psalm 100)


This was probably the first psalm I learned after Psalm 23. I was in college at the time, attending an Intervarsity bible study on Tuesday nights. We sang Psalm 100 often.

Correction. We didn't just sing it - we SANG it!!

We sang these words with all the gusto we could muster, clapping, smiling, hearts bursting with joy.

After we sang the entire Psalm, a new stanza began with the girls singing, "Thank you, Jesus. Thank you, thank you, Jesus (Praise God - the boys sang this part). Thank You, Jesus. Thank You, thank You, Jesus (Praise God)...

This is where I learned to worship God. We came before Him as a child - no analysis, no spirit-quenching pride, just child-like faith.

We sang with total abandon.
We worshiped God with our whole heart.
We entered into the Presence of God.

Wow...such fond memories.

Now, 35 years later, the words to Psalm 100 mean even more to me. I've walked with my Savior long enough for these words to punctuate my reality with Truth:

Know that the Lord, He IS God.
The Lord is good, His mercy is everlasting.
His Truth endures to all generations.


Therefore, I will praise Him. I will come into His Presence with singing and thanksgiving in my heart.

And I will bless His Holy Name all the days of my life.

With total abandon.


Lord, You are so precious to me. I love to praise You and give You thanks. I even love to dance before You as David did. You are an amazing God. The more I know You, the more I want to know You. Thank You for Your goodness. Thank You for Your mercy and Your faithfulness. And, most of all, thank You for Your love. Bless You, Father.

No comments :

Post a Comment