Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Heart Breaks With Longing

"Deal bountifully with Your servant, that I may live; and I will observe Your Word (hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying it). Open my eyes, that I may behold the wondrous things out of Your law. I am a stranger and a temporary resident on the earth; Hide not Your commandments from me. My heart is breaking with the longing that it has for Your ordinances and judgments at all times."
(Psalm 119:17-20 (Amplified Study Bible)


I will observe Your Word, Lord. I will hear it, receive it into my heart, love what You are saying and then obey.

Wish it was that easy, but as you read these words, can you feel the Spirit stirring within you? Yes!

As His children, we are growing in His grace. We are learning to hear His voice, to discern His Spirit. We are learning to "open our eyes that we might see, and our ears that we might hear". Amen? It's a journey. A blessed journey - sometimes through the wilderness, sometimes standing high on the mountain, sometimes curled up in our Father's lap...but, always a journey with Him.

Clara H. Scott (1841-1897) wrote a beautiful hymn about these very thoughts:

Open my eyes, that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key,
That shall unclasp and set me free.
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Spirit divine!

Open my ears, that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave-notes fall on my ear,
Ev'rything false will disappear.
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my ears, illumine me,
Spirit divine!

Open my mouth, and let it bear
Gladly the warm truth ev'rywhere;
Open my heart, and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my heart, illumine me,
Spirit divine!



SELAH. Bless the Name of the Lord.

Father, Hear the cry of our hearts. We know that none of us walk in perfection, but we desire to please You in all things. Open our eyes that we might see and understand. Open our ears that we might hear Your still, small voice within. Open our hearts to love You more and to honor You always. You are precious, Lord.

2 comments :

  1. Excellent, Nan
    And the longing just intensifies in this heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine, too Mid. It is so strong sometimes that I can scarcely contain it. Do you know this old hymn? We used to sing it when I was a child. The words are beautiful. Love you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete