Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Sacrifice of Praise

"I will freely sacrifice to You; I will praise Your name, O Lord, for it is good."
(Psalm 54:6)

Many years ago I learned a spiritual truth that I have practiced and shared over and over. It is this: When you cannot praise God for your circumstances, you can ALWAYS praise Him for Who He is.

Powerful, isn't it?

This is what David is doing in Psalm 54:6 - he is willingly, freely, spontaneously offering a sacrifice to his God, even though things are not looking so good.

David is hiding in the Wilderness of Maon. Saul is in hot pursuit and will surely kill David if he finds him. As Psalm 54 begins, David cries out, "Save me, O God, by Your Name and vindicate me by Your strength. Hear my prayer, O God; Give ear to the words of my mouth."

Can you hear the desperation in his voice?

Only the Lord can save David from his enemies and he knows it. But then he calmly pauses - SELAH - and thinks about his Deliverer, "Behold, God is my helper; The Lord is with those who uphold my life" verse 4).

And THEN David FREELY offers a sacrifice to his God - a gift.
He gives Him praise and acknowledges God's goodness and mercy. David's life was still in peril, but he chose to honor the Lord and put his trust in Him.

Why would praise be important at a time like this? Because praise ushers in the Presence of the Lord. The circumstances may not change, but the heart and mind of the worshiper changes in the midst of the situation. The Holy Spirit rains down His power, He anoints His child with peace, He squelches the fear.

When you cannot praise Him for your circumstances, you can ALWAYS praise Him for Who He is.

Father, as I wrote these words my spirit kept singing, "Praise Your Name Lord Jesus. Praise Your Name Lord Jesus. You're my Rock. You're my fortress. You're my deliverer, in You will I trust. Praise Your Name Lord Jesus." I love that song, Lord. Thank You for reminding me of it. We offer you praise and glory and honor because of Who You are - no strings attached. You are a great and mighty God.

No comments :

Post a Comment