Friday, March 4, 2011

Pour Out Your Heart Before Him

"My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation (my hope) is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be shaken. In God is my salvation and my honor; The rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. SELAH"
(Psalm 62:5-8)

I attended a Beth Moore bible study this morning and learned something so wonderful that I couldn't wait to share it with you. The study is David: Seeking a Heart Like His. Today we listened to Beth speak about Psalm 62.

Beth told us to write down the word, wrestle and beneath it the word, rest.

wrestle
rest


To fully understand and appreciate the rest of God, we most certainly must go through a period of wrestling.
Can you see how the two words - the two concepts - are connected? When we are in turmoil, when our hearts are bloodied with the pain of anguish, we learn quickly that only in God can we place our hope - ONLY IN HIM! It is that conclusion that brings us to His rest.

In verse eight, David said, "Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him".

The Hebrew word for pour is sapak which means "to spill forth, to pour out, to bare one's soul in sorrow or anger. It literally means to pour out the contents of a vessel."

David said to pour out your heart before God.
Empty your heart before Him.
Wrestle with your pain and then pour it all out as an offering before the Lord.


When a heart is poured out (emptied) before God, He then can fill it back up with rest, with hope, with encouragement. He can then fill it back up with Jesus Who is our peace.

My soul, hope only in God, for He is my refuge. He is my peace.


Father, Thank You for Beth Moore. What a gift she is to the Body of Christ. I love this message. It is very simple, yet very profound: when we wrestle with our pain and then pour it out to You as an offering, THEN You can fill our hearts with Your goodness, Your rest. Thank You, Father. We give You praise.

3 comments :

  1. I needed that, Nan...sometimes my world crumbles with pain for my children and the things they are going through... I will wrestle, but find rest in the middle.
    lvya

    ReplyDelete
  2. My very dear sister, this is amazing! Again you have confirmed a Word I had received a few days ago. The Lord gave me this and it touched me so deeply that I copied and pasted it outside my apartment door (I wonder if my neighbor has read it, LOL).
    So true. I've been led by the Lord to a spirit of brokenness, supplication and intercession... I had experienced this before but perhaps never as strongly as these days. I know the Lord is doing sth great in His people. His grace alone deserves all the credit. I know He's doing the same with many others. I can see He's working wonderful things in you. And that's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mid, you are my wrestling teammate! I'm thankful it ministered to you.

    Carina, You have blessed me so much. Thank you. I am excited to watch what God does in and through you. Bless you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete