Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Scriptures of Encouragment ~ Safe Thus Far

A shaft of sunlight burst through the storm clouds, streaking radiance through the sanctuary window. I felt its warmth move across my shoulder as the congregation stood and lifted voices in song:


"Through many dangers, toils, and snares, I have already come;
 'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
 And grace will lead me home."

The words on the page came alive. My lips continued to move through the words, but my spirit caught its breath. The Spirit of God rose within me and gave me understanding. Grace. God's grace...a gift too deep for words.

I thought of Christmas morning. Love and laughter filled our home. Little boys and big boys ran around engaged in a nerf-gun fight creating the grace-filled chaos of family.  We all got tickled to find gifts like Pringles and peanuts, homemade cookies and hot chocolate mix, under the tree - anything I could buy with emergency food stamps. 

Just a few days earlier I had wept the entire day. Disillusionment met failed expectations. Fear of "less than" met an empty bank account. But then God's grace poured out and wiped my tears and I moved forward holding His hand, only to welcome Christmas day with a home filled with laughter and love. I learned the lesson of CHRISTmas.

Grace. God's grace.


"For the Lord God is a sun and shield; 
The Lord will give grace and glory; 
No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly."
 ~ Psalm 84:11

My thoughts blurred through the joyful tears and returned to the words of this familiar hymn:

"The Lord has promised good to me, His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be 
As long as life endures."

Dear one, cling to the One who loves you. Seek Him and you will find Him. Draw near to Him and He will draw near to you, for you are loved.

God's grace has brought us safe thus far and His grace will lead us home.

Photo credit:www.wallsave.com
**************************************************************************
Tweetables to Encourage Others 

Grace. God's grace...a gift too deep for words. (Click to tweet) 

Fear of "less than" met an empty bank account. But then God's grace...(Click to tweet)



*********************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please visit the Morning Glory  page. I'm featuring Fernando Ortega singing, "Jesus, King of Angels". It is simply beautiful and is sure to calm a restless spirit, bringing you peace.

2 comments :

  1. God is so gracious and faithful to us dear friend. Thank you for sharing this heartfelt message today. Lamentations 3:22-23 Love ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcie, Lamentations 3:22-23 is one of my very favorite scriptures! It speaks directly to my heart. Thank you so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete