Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Finding God's Presence ~ Melting Away the Chill of a Heart Grown Cold

by Nan Jones   @NanJonesAuthor

Finally! We exited the chaos of the interstate, leaving the rat-race behind. Turning left at the stoplight, my heart began to still. The entrance to Billy Graham's Conference Center, The Cove, was in view. Two stone pillars stood as sentinels guarding the passage onto the holy grounds.

Perhaps there are angels at the stone pillars of The Cove standing guard to keep the enemy out -  standing guard and seeking those who need to find Jesus once more, for such is the realm of Holy ground.

My spirit stirred within me as I traveled the road cutting through this earthly piece of heaven. To the left a flock of wild turkeys grazed near a small creek that traverses in and out of the surrounding woods. Evidence of winter's chill lay within the patches of snow and ice left from yesterday's storm and, although I'm reminded of my own winter of the soul, I can feel the warmth of God's presence penetrating, restoring, and melting away the chill of a heart grown cold. Slowly. Steadily.

The warmth of God's presence.

The power of His consuming fire - the fire that delights in the offering of an obedient heart and lays waste the work of the enemy.

I'm reminded that even though The Cove is a remarkable place high on a mountain overlooking the Blue Ridge valleys below, the holiness of its refuge comes not from the lumber and mortar that creates its lovely existence. The holiness of its refuge comes from the offering of obedient hearts seeking and serving and worshiping God on its premises. The Spirit of God being magnified in the lives of the visitors and staff emit the sweet fragrance of Christ that permeates these hallowed grounds. The Spirit of God overflowing like a fountain of love blankets The Cove and melts away the chill of a heart grown cold.

Oh, that I might worship Him in the beauty of His Holiness and walk in a manner that releases the sweet fragrance of Jesus wherever I go. May I yield to His words thundering quietly from the midst of the consuming fire.

And as I continue to worship and stand in awe of Him, even when circumstances would dictate otherwise, may the warmth of His presence continue to melt away the chill of a heart grown cold.

"You were shown these things 
so that you might know that the Lord is God; 
besides him there is no other. 
 From heaven he made you hear his voice to discipline you. 
On earth he showed you his great fire, 
and you heard his words from out of the fire.  
Because he loved your ancestors and chose their descendants after them, he brought you out of Egypt by his Presence 
and his great strength, 
 to drive out before you nations greater and stronger than you 
and to bring you into their land to give it to you for your inheritance, 
as it is today.

"Acknowledge and take to heart this day 
that the Lord is God in heaven above and on the earth below. 
There is no other." 
~ Deuteronomy 4:35-39, NIV


 A Tweetable to Encourage Others

Where is God when my heart grows cold? @NanJonesAuthor offers a glimpse. (Click to Tweet)

Have you ever experienced a time when nothing made sense, but the presence of God covered you with His love and filled you with His peace? I would love for you to share with our readers.

1 comment :

  1. There's a children's song I grew up listening to that rings in my head sometimes. It says, "Peace, peace, I think I understand. Peace, peace is holding Jesus' hand." I've found that so many times when I'm struggling to understand what is happening in my life or to understand where He is leading me that when I just get still and hold on to Him, He holds me closer and that peace that passes all understanding just floods my heart. I love John 14:27 because Jesus fills us with a peace that the world can never fill us with. Thank you for this inspirational post Nan. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete