Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Finding God's Presence ~ Waiting for God's Appointed Time

by Nan Jones   @NanJonesAuthor

Daylilies and irises burst through the crusty earth, long before the threat of frost had passed. My grass took on the color of emeralds. Buds on the old apple tree began to unfurl like crisp white linen.

But the grapevine lay dormant. Waiting. Content to rest until its appointed time. I watched it morning by morning wondering when its tiny buds would appear.

An early spring cool-snap crossed the mountain. Some of the iris fronds tinged brown. I held my breath for the tender apple blossoms, wondering if they could survive the chill. Their sweet fruit would be in danger if frost crowned the cool air.

But the grapevine still lay dormant, waiting for its appointed time ... its sweet fruit safe from a killing frost.

I wonder how often we are content to wait for God's appointed time to produce our fruit after a long, cold winter of the soul? It's hard to wait, isn't it? But I'm learning that the more I trust in God's sovereignty - His authority - the sweeter the fruit of my life and labor will be. If I push ahead of the Lord, taking matters into my hands, my fruit is in danger of being snuffed out by an unexpected chill.

God's timing - His appointed time - is perfection in motion.

The cool snap passed, taking some tender apple blossoms with it. The spring sun warmed the earth with persistence, stabilizing the temperatures. Within several days of the last frost I noticed tiny buds beginning to bulge along the grapevine tendrils. They reminded me of tiny rosebuds rich with promise, tinged with the blush of spring. Their timing was perfect.

Just as the grapevine waited patiently for its appointed time to bud, I'm learning to wait.

After all, God's appointed time for all things is perfection in motion.

"For the vision is yet for an appointed time; 
But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie.
Though it tarries, wait for it; 
Because it will surely come. 
It will not tarry." 
~ Habakkuk 2:4

A Tweetable to Encourage Others

@NanJonesAuthor shares how to find God's Presence while waiting for His appointed time. (Click to Tweet)



****************************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please visit the Morning Glory page. I'm featuring Brandon Heath singing, "Wait and See." I think you'll love this song. It's message will encourage you to wait on God and trust in His faithfulness.

1 comment :

  1. Nan I think this is one of my top favorite posts from you. I so needed this today! Thank you, Love you :-)

    ReplyDelete