Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Finding God's Presence ~ Have You Ever Heard the Garments of God Brushing Past?

by Nan Jones   @NanJonesAuthor

Repeatedly, this sentence by George Matheson circled through my mind: "God's voice demands the silence of the soul. Only in the quiet of the spirit could Isaac hear the garments of his God brush by him."

Isn't that beautiful? Can you see the image of God's garments brushing past Isaac as he finally found rest from a tumultuous time in his life? I love this. I love it for many reasons.


It speaks to me in my brokenness.

It speaks to me in my famine of spirit and soul. 

It speaks to me in my restlessness that wants to leap over obstacles and hurry on my way.

But God demands silence of the soul if we want to hear His voice.

Stillness.

Rest.

And then in the beauty of the night, God comes near and whispers, "I am the God of your father Abraham; do not fear, for I am with you..." (Genesis 26:24a).

In that moment, like Isaac, the glory of His Presence washes over me. Like a mighty rushing wind He makes Himself known - the motion of His love rippling His stream within me. Stagnation departs. Peace resumes. Rest occurs.

And I bow in worship, overcome with gratitude that once again my Father came to me in the night and gave me strength to continue my journey.

Only in the quiet can I hear the brush of His garments passing me by.

Yes, only in the quiet.

SELAH 

A Tweetable to Encourage Others

Where is God when I need Him? @NanJonesAuthor offers a glimpse. (click to tweet) 

~#~

 

                                                                                                                             

No comments :

Post a Comment