Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Finding God's Presence ~ Why Would I Fly a Kite in a Snowstorm?

by Nan Jones   @NanJonesAuthor


"Let's go fly a kite, up to the highest height..."

The familiar tune played spontaneously through my mind as Blue and I trudged through a foot of snow.

"Let's go fly a kite, and send it soaring..."

This song was hugely out of place in our winter wonderland. Kites are for March winds, summer play days -  not for a winter storm named Jonas. It's not unusual for me to sing as I walk Blue. Praise to the Lord always tumbles from my lips as we take our daily trek up our mountain road. But, "Let's go fly a kite...?" 

How odd.

I felt a nudge of the Holy Spirit and recognized His sweet voice. Listening intently, I surveyed the landscape. Snow and ice surrounded me. The earth lay quiet - dormant - beneath its opulent quilt fashioned in shades of white. Trees stood like skeletons, stark silhouettes against a dim sky.

"Up through the atmosphere, up where the air is clear. Oh, let's go fly a kite!"

And then I understood.

The Lord was showing me a picture of hope. Though the earth lay dormant, it's time of new birth will come.

Though my life seems dormant and quiet while in a season of waiting, my time of new birth will come too.

It's all about hope. Finding my hope in Christ alone. Finding my hope in the promises of His Word. Finding my hope nestled beneath the shadow of His Wing.

"I waited patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth - Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, and will trust in the Lord." ~ Psalm 40:1-2

The God of the Universe establishes our paths and sets the fulfillment of His purposes in motion. Can we learn to place our hope in Him even when our lives lay dormant?

Let's go fly a kite and send it soaring!

A Tweetable to Encourage Others

Where is God in my winter season? @NanJonesAuthor offers a glimpse. (click to tweet)

~#~

  

No comments :

Post a Comment