Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Scriptures of Encouragement ~ Look Who's Here!

A rush of wind swept through the treetops like the sound of crashing waves, its power witnessed in the bending of branches and the tousling of remaining leaves. Far below the forest canopy I walked in a broad patch of sunshine without the slightest breeze. In fact, I knew the blast of wind came only because I heard its whistle and saw its effects above me.

But in the sunshine I couldn't feel the wind.

I knew it was a God-moment.

I stood still for a minute and watched. And listened. The effects of the wind were evident above me, but I could not feel it at all. The fact that I couldn't feel it did not discount the fact that it was there.


Let's say that again. The fact that I couldn't feel it did not discount the fact that it was there.

Naturally, I thought of God's Spirit. I thought of something Jesus said to Nicodemus as he strove to understand the ways of God: "Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."*

I chuckled at the goodness of God - at His tenderness in showing me such a thing. 

But, the lesson wasn't over.

I turned for home. As I rounded the next curve I found myself enveloped in shadows. The trees had arched over the road and entwined their fingertips, creating a shady area on the road. And guess what? The same wind that sang above me in the sunshine where I watched its presence, but couldn't feel it - that same wind was now all around me blowing me down the road. The wind blew fierce in the shadows, in the cold the darkness created. I pulled the scarf up around my face, hunched my shoulders, and bent over a bit to guard against the bitter chill of the shade.

And then I chuckled again. 

The same wind I could watch from my place of sunshine, was now wrapping me in its presence in this place of cold shadows.

Aha! The completed God-moment.


"Look who’s here: Mountain-Shaper! Wind-Maker!
    He laid out the whole plot before Adam.
He brings everything out of nothing,
    like dawn out of darkness.
He strides across the alpine ridges.
    His name is God, God-of-the-Angel-Armies."
~ Amos 4:13, The Message 

Isn't that so like God? He promises to be with us always. Even when we can't see Him. Even when we don't feel His Presence. Nothing changes the fact that He is with us. 

Always. 

In the sunshine, the happy times, the peaceful times, He is there. The effects of His Spirit can be seen around us - in the smile of a widow. In the laugh of a child. In the warm embrace of a friend. Oh yes. He is there.

It's interesting that in the shadows, He embraces us. He doesn't leave us to guess His Presence. No. In the harsh cold of the darkness God comes near and breathes the breath of heaven into our weary souls. He surrounds us with the whirlwind of His power. Comforting. Protecting. Intervening.

When I need Him most, He is there. Up close and personal.

Yes, when I need Him, He makes Himself known.

*John 3:7,8 
*Photo Credit: wallpaper-million.com
***************************************************
Tweetables to Encourage Others

When I need Him, He makes Himself known. (Click to Tweet)

God surrounds us with the whirlwind of His power. Comforting. Protecting. Intervening. (Click to Tweet)



*********************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please visit the Morning Glory  page. I'm featuring a praise and worship song by Vineyard music titled, "Breath of God". I believe it will bless you as much as it did me.

No comments :

Post a Comment