Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Scriptures of Encouragement ~ Dehydrated Heart

Moonlight streaked through my bedroom window. I rolled over for the umpteenth time, fluffing my pillow and adjusting the covers...anything to get comfortable. But sleep eluded me. My mind was restless. Wandering. Traversing to places that would only cause more worry.

Photo Credit: www.visualforces.com

I rolled over again, this time staring out the window at the moon and stars. My mind had become an empty slate, the exact restless moment the Lord was waiting for.

There, in the heavens right next to a galaxy of stars, appeared the image of my pot of pansies on the porch steps. Yes, seriously. The image was clear as day.

Lord, what is this?

Just think about it, Nan. Just think about it.

So I did.

Earlier in the afternoon I had noticed my pansies were drooping, wilting in the sun. The other pots were fine. I hadn't watered them because of the spring showers we experienced two days earlier.

But while the other pansies flourished, this little bouquet wilted from dehydration. I was puzzled. Then I looked up. The eve of our porch jutted out to a sharp point just above this pot of pansies, just enough to block the refreshing rain. While the other pots were watered by God, these little flowers were dying of thirst. I got some water from the spicket and gave them a long drink. Within the hour the beautiful faces of my pansies were poised upward and winking at the sun. They were fully refreshed.

Still gazing out my window at the moonlit sky, I pondered the idea that the dehydration occurred because something blocked the flow of water falling generously from the heavens.

Is that why I'm so restless, Lord? Is my senseless worrying blocking the flow of Your Living Water? Forgive me, Lord. Open my eyes to see You working in my midst. Please apply Your perfect love to my life to remove all fear and doubt. Cause Your Living Water to seep into the crevices of my heart and roll the stone of worry away, that stone that blocks Your peace in all things. Wash me anew in Your grace so that my life will reflect Your glory.

I rolled over onto my side and snuggled the covers up under my chin. My body relaxed. My mind hushed, and my spirit rested by the quiet waters that flowed from within.


"The poor and needy seek water, but there is none, 
their tongues fail for thirst. 
I, the Lord, will hear them; 
I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them. 
I will open rivers in desolate heights, and fountains in the midst of the valleys; I will make the wilderness a pool of water, 
and the dry land springs of water." 
~ Isaiah 41:17-18




*********************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please visit the Morning Glory  page. I'm featuring Kari Jobe singing "The More I Seek You." It's sure to bless you today and help you rise above the storm.

4 comments :

  1. Hi Nan! What a lesson you learned with a little pot of thirsty pansies. God truly does use everything for his glory, doesn't he? Like you, I can get all balled up in worry and sadness...but all that does is end up blocked the very grace I need so badly!
    Wonderful analogy. Thank you for sharing God's word to you with us.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ceil. You're so faithful. The Living Water doesn't sit stagnant within us, but we can prevent it from doing it's life-sustaining work by allowing things to separate us from God. I just need to get that deep in my knower ;-)

      Delete
  2. Oh Nan I think this is one of my favorites you've ever written! Thankyou so much this drink to a thirsty soul. All my love, <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome. Thank you for your kind words. Love you, too.

      Delete