Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Scriptures of Encouragement ~ Spanning the Treacherous Waters

by Nan Jones

"What of a man walking through a glorious glade who fretted because ahead there lay a river and he might not be able to cross it, when all the time, that river was spanned by a bridge? And what if that man had a friend who knew the way - had planned it - and assured him that at no part of the journey would any unforeseen contingency arise, and that all was well?" (A.J. Russell, God Calling)

These words leaped from the page as I rocked back and forth on our porch swing, mesmerized by the gentle rhythm, searching for the Lord's counsel.

I was that "man" walking through the glade worrying about the river that was up ahead, not remembering that my Abba Father had carefully placed a bridge to span the treacherous waters. Me! The one who forevermore counsels others that God will make a way where there seems to be no way. I was the one doubting and walking in fear. I was the one not trusting in the goodness and sovereignty of God.

Lord, please forgive me. How could I possibly be surrendering to these fearful thoughts from the enemy? Thank You for opening my eyes to realize the limitations I placed on You. I'm so sorry. Thank You for always making a way for me long before I arrive at the treacherous waters.

Isn't it wonderful to realize that God always has a plan - that He is never taken by surprise as we journey through this life? This past week, as He so lovingly gave me these encouraging words, my treacherous water consisted of facing my husband's emergency surgery with no insurance and limited income. But God's grace covered us at the hospital, giving us favor with the financial counselors. His bridge was already in place before we arrived at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. The expansive bridge also gave my sweet husband favor with the supervisor of his new job who repeatedly reassured us of job security, even though he hasn't been there long enough to obtain sick days.


As I "walked" step by step across this bridge of grace, I looked upon the treacherous waters beneath us. I knew we could have drowned had it not been for the love of an amazing God.

Are you fearing the river ahead, not knowing how you will cross it? Perhaps the Lord Himself is the bridge - His Presence strong and mighty. As we press into Him we are safe and sound. As we press into Him we need only rest upon His love, knowing that He works all things together for our good, knowing that nothing takes Him by surprise.

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; 
I have called you by your name; You are Mine. 
When you pass through the waters, 
I will be with you; 
And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. 
When you walk through the fire, 
you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. 
For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, 
your Savior..." 
~ Isaiah 43:1-3

He is able.
He is faithful.
He is our God, and we belong to Him.

Dear one, do not be afraid. 

*******************************************************
Tweetables to Encourage Others

I knew we could have drowned had it not been for the love of an amazing God. (Click to Tweet)

Are you fearing the river ahead, not knowing how you will cross it? (Click to Tweet)

He is able. He is faithful. He is our God & we belong to Him. Dear one, do not be afraid. (Click to Tweet)



*********************************************************
If you received Morning Glory via email, please visit the Morning Glory  page. The featured video is "Oceans" by Hillsong. This is an amazing song.

No comments :

Post a Comment