Wednesday, August 11, 2010

God's Timing is Everything

"And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying,'Send men to spy out the land of Canaan, which I am giving to the children of Israel...Then Moses sent them to spy out the land of Canaan, and said to them, 'Go up this way into the South, and go up to the mountains, and see what the land is like...Be of good courage; And bring some of the fruit of the land. Now the time was the season of the first ripe grapes."
(Numbers 13:1,17,18,20)


"...Now the time was the season of the first ripe grapes."

Friends, God's timing is perfect. The children of Israel were on the brink of inheriting the land God promised to Abraham in Genesis 12:1, "Get out of your country, from your family and from your father's house, to a land that I will show you..." In pursuit of this promise, Moses had been leading them through the desert for 40 years.

Suffice it to say, the Promised Land had been a mere speck on the horizon of their dreams for a very long time and now...AND NOW...they were close enough to see it and taste its fruit.

I venture to say we are all familiar with the murmuring and complaining - the outright rebellion - of the children of Israel. The stench of their sin nature stunk to high heaven!

I know. I've been there. Bet you have, too.

But here's the take-away...

The children of Israel were so close to Canaan they could taste it!! Moses sent out twelve spies to check out the Promised Land. Ten of them returned with nothing more than more complaints: There are giants! The cities are fortified! It is a land that devours its inhabitants! OR, in our language: We can't afford that! You want me to do what, Lord? There aren't any positions open! I can't even get everything I need at the grocery store, so how do you think I'm gonna pay for a car?

Here's my point. Attitude is everything! I think the ten spies with the bad reports were guilty of murmuring and complaining throughout their journey while Joshua and Caleb had remained faithful and trusting in their God, even when things didn't make sense. So, when these men crossed over to Canaan, what they saw - what they focused on - was determined by the condition of their heart.

And notice God - Who knows all things - sent them into their Promised Land when he knew - HE KNEW - it was the season for fruit.

That's what He does for us. God's timing is not like ours at all! He plants the seeds of promise in our spirit and then HE determines when the season for fruit will be. Our job is to expect the Presence and power of God as we take our steps of faith.

And guard your heart. Keep it clean before Him so you won't miss His miracles in the shadows of the giants.

Be of good courage for the Lord is with you.

Lord, I pray that I am always ready to step into the promises You have given me, to look at the situation through eyes of faith, not unbelief. Keep me ever mindful of Your Presence and Your power, Your faithfulness and Your love. Cleanse me, Lord that I might come boldly before Your throne of grace making my requests known to You. I am very thankful that You have a marvelous plan for my life and each day, as I take Your hand, I am walking through it. I believe, Lord. Help my unbelief.

No comments :

Post a Comment