Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Great and Awesome God is Among You

"If you should say in your heart, 'These nations are greater than I; how can I dispossess them?' - you shall not be afraid of them, but you shall remember well what the Lord your God did to Pharaoh and to all Egypt: The great trials which your eyes saw, the signs and the wonders, the mighty hand and the outstretched arm by which the Lord your God brought you out. So shall the Lord your God do to all the peoples of whom you are afraid. Moreover the Lord your God will send the hornet among them until these who are left, who hide themselves from you, are destroyed. You shall not be terrified of them, for the Lord your God, the great and awesome God is among you."
(Deuteronomy 7:17-21)

In the literal sense, this passage in Deuteronomy is concerning actual nations who are strong enemies against God's people, Israel.

But, I want you to think outside the box.

We know that the Old Testament is a direct parallel to our walk of faith. Egypt represents our life before Christ when we were in bondage to sin. God delivered us as He did Israel. He was in covenant with them just as He is in covenant with us. Therefore, the Old Testament is totally relevant to us today. You need only ask the Lord to open the eyes of your understanding.

Verse 17 reads, "If you should say in your heart, 'These nations are greater than I, how can I dispossess them?'"

What are the enemies in your life? I have several: anxiety, depression, low self-esteem...These are enemies that have a stronghold in my life. There are others that come and go like an evil tide, such as financial crises or health problems. But, depression, anxiety and low self-esteem seem to have a hold on me.

They are greater than I. How can I dispossess them?

First, I don't need to be afraid or intimidated by them. I am a child of God. I am hid in Christ. Second, the scripture tells me to remember well what the Lord my God did to deliver me from the wages of sin, to break the chains that held me captive. He has set me free!!

Free! Why, oh why, would I want to go back to Egypt? Why would you?

Look at verse 20, "Moreover the Lord your God will send the hornet among them until those who are left, who hide themselves from you, are destroyed"

I wanted to understand this, so I asked the Lord. Hornet is tsi'rah (see-raw) in Hebrew. It literally means hornet or wasp but it is derived from the root word tsara' (saw-rah) meaning to scourge. To scourge is to inflict pain or punishment; to devastate.

This tells me that my enemies, who occasionally hide themselves from me until they sense my vulnerability - those enemies will be destroyed, devastated by the Lord Himself, when I trust Him with my whole heart, when I walk with Him in obedience and righteousness.

I do not need to be terrified of my enemies because, "the Lord my God, the great and AWESOME God, is with me."

Neither shall you be afraid. Take His hand and walk in victory.

Lord, Your Word is strong and powerful to save. Your Word promises that You will destroy my enemies as I submit my life to You. It is true, You ARE an awesome God. I love You, Lord. Have Your way in me and tear down the strongholds in my life that hold me back from being all I can be for You. Praise Your Holy Name, Lord!

No comments :

Post a Comment