Saturday, January 15, 2011

Breathe On Me Breath of God

"'I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,' says the Lord, 'Who is and Who was and Who is to come, the Almighty.'"
(Revelation 1:8)


I find great comfort in these words. To me, this verse unequivocally says the Lord God IS in control - not in concept, not in a nice little thought, but in TRUTH! He is saying, "All of life is contained WITHIN Me, created by and for Me, determined and sustained through Me."

The Message offers this translation, "I'm A to Z. I'm the God Who is, the God Who was, and the God about to arrive. I'm the Sovereign Strong."

Whoa!! "I am the God about to arrive - the Sovereign Strong!" I love this.

As I researched I found a very insightful commentary, Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible, that made me say, "Whoa!" again. Are you ready?

Clarke says, "The union of Alpha and Omega in Greek, makes a verb meaning 'I breathe', and may very properly, in such a symbolical book as Revelation, point out Him in Whom we live, and move, and have our being; for, having formed man out of the dust of the earth, He breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and he became a living soul; and it is by the inspiration or inbreathing of His Spirit that the souls of men are quickened, made alive from the dead, and fitted for life eternal."

From beginning to end...in Him.

I keep thinking about an old hymn, Breathe on Me, Breath of God. Do you know it? Sing with me:

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
Till I am wholly Thine,
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.

Breath of me, Breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity.


Isn't that beautiful? He is the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and End. He is the God Who is, and the God Who was and the God about to arrive.

And He has breathed the breath of life in us that in HIM we might live and move and have our being...both now, and forever.

He IS the Almighty. Is there anything too difficult for Him?


Praise You Father! I stand amazed at Your glory. Thank You for Your sovereign hand in our lives. Thank you for Your sustenance, Your faithfulness and Your grace. Help us to grasp the magnitude of Who You are and to walk in the fullness of Your love.

2 comments :

  1. Ohhhhhhhhhh, now I have goosebumps!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was cool too. Don't you just love the Word of God?

    ReplyDelete