Monday, January 3, 2011

Whose Reflection is in Your Eye?

"Keep me as the apple of Your eye; Hide me under the shadow of Your wings."
(Psalm 17:8)


The apple of Your eye...I have always loved this concept. As a young girl, family friends often told me that I was the apple of my Daddy's eye. I didn't fully understand what that meant, but I knew these words warmed my heart with the knowledge of my Daddy's love.

I think of my Daddy when I hear these words.
King David thought of his Father, also.

You see, I believe David knew the Lord his God as a father
- intimately, honestly, with a pure heart and love. Pure? Yes. Not because he was free of sin, but because he daily bared his soul before his Heavenly Father. David did not play games with his faith.

I have learned that apple of your eye means, little man of the eye. In Hebrew it is written Ishone Bat ayin. Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein of the International Fellowship of Christians & Jews explained this beautifully in a recent Holy Land Moments devotion. He said, "The apple of your eye or, the little man of the eye, refers to the tiny reflection of yourself that you can see in other people's pupils. To be the apple of someone's eye clearly means that you are being gazed upon and watched closely by that person. Your very image is dancing in the eyes of that person!"

Isn't that precious? Can you imagine walking so close with God, the Father, that your reflection is found upon the pupil of His eye as He watches closely over His child? How comforting and reassuring this image is!

Oh. I just thought of something. If we walk closely with the Lord and gaze upon HIM, can others see His reflection in OUR eyes? Hmmm...I think so.

Now, that is food for thought.

Father, keep us as the apple of Your eye. Hold our hand as we walk closely with You, as we seek Your face and look into Your lovely eyes. Your love is amazing. Open our hearts to understand You as a Father. A father's love is unconditional, protective, honest and true. Help us be aware of Your Presence in a much deeper way. We desire to love You more, to know You more. We desire to walk humbly with our God. Bless You, Father!

No comments :

Post a Comment