Monday, January 31, 2011

Dwelling Securely in Hope

"O Lord, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You maintain my lot. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Yes, I have a good inheritance.

"I will bless the Lord who has given me counsel; My heart also instructs me in the night seasons. I have set the Lord always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.

"Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope."
(Psalm 16:5-9)

These words of David warm my heart. Don't you love how he just sits down and has conversation with the Lord? His honesty inspires me.

There are three things in particular that stand out to me:
"O Lord, You are the portion of my inheritance..."
"My heart also instructs me in the night seasons..."
"My flesh also will rest in hope..."


Notice how these three phrases are like steps leading through this passage.

David first proclaims that the Lord is the portion of his inheritance
. Not, the Lord GIVES him his portion. The Lord IS his portion. David doesn't want land. He doesn't want the spoils plundered from victories. He doesn't want wealth or prestige. He wants to know the Lord and for the Lord to know him. The Lord is enough. He is David's all-in-all.

"My heart also instructs me in the night seasons."
The night seasons. We all have these seasons, don't we? We all have times of sorrow or anguish or times that overwhelm us. But David says that his heart instructs him during those times. Even when it feels like we are consumed by darkness, the Light of Christ - our portion - remains within our heart. He counsels us, instructs us, leads us back onto a lighted path.

And perhaps my favorite, "My flesh also will rest in hope." Rest in hope. What a glorious thought! For hope provides rest. Hope restores peace and joy. Hope provides strength and contentment. A literal translation says, "My flesh also will dwell securely in hope."

I like that. I think that's where I'm pitching my tent! I plan on dwelling securely in hope.

Yes, my hope is in You, Lord.


Praise You, Father! We offer You praise for Your goodness and mercy. We offer You praise for Who You are. You are our dwelling place. You are our hope. And You are our portion. Thank You, Father. We love You.

3 comments :

  1. Room in that tent for moi?? !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for another beautiful post, Nan! You've encouraged me today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mid, you are so crazy! We need to ask the Lord to put our mansions side by side, don'tcha think? Of course, my mansion is going to be a log cabin!

    Vonda, I'm so thankful Morning Glory encouraged you today. That is an answer to my prayer. Love you!

    ReplyDelete