Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Through Christ...

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
(Philippians 4:13)


As I read this scripture this morning the word "through" leaped off the page! How many times have you, like me, read these powerful words only to think about the things we want to accomplish.

Maybe we need to reconsider our emphasis.
Instead of, "I CAN DO ALL THINGS through Christ who gives me strength" we should read it as, "I can do all things THROUGH CHRIST who gives me strength."

Do you see the difference? THROUGH Christ...Selah.

Know what else I thought of? I thought about a shield. So often when we set about to accomplish the things God asks of us, we encounter spiritual warfare. You know...obstacles, detours, frustrations. "We wrestle not with flesh and blood but with principalities and powers of darkness" (Ephesians 6:12). AND...We know that God is a shield about us (Genesis 15:1, 2 Samuel 22:31, Psalm 18:2). So, if God is a shield surrounding us and the enemy does his best to thwart our progress, doesn't it make sense that we can do all things as we stand behind the shield and press forward through its protection?

I know. Get a shovel out, right?

But seriously. I love the thought of being surrounded by the love of God and His protection. Jesus is the embodiment of all that God is. So it makes sense that Jesus is a shield about us. After all, in John 15, Jesus encourages His followers to abide in Him, to live within His love. Surrounded by His shield? Yes, I think so.

I can do all things THROUGH and BECAUSE OF the shield of Christ Who strengthens me. Hmmm...

I absolutely love how The Message interprets Philippians 4:13.
"Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One Who makes me who I am."

Don't you love it? "...I can make it through anything..."

Stand firm behind the shield of faith and press through. With God, nothing is impossible.

Father, You are so awesome. It's not about us, it's about Who is with us...YOU! What a glorious image I see as I consider You as my shield and as I consider us, together, pressing through to accomplishing the plans and purposes of my life. Thank You, Father. Thank You for making me who I am.

No comments :

Post a Comment