Monday, February 28, 2011

A Gentle Mist Called Grace

"This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens, before any plant of the field was in the earth and before any herb of the field had grown. For the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the earth, and there was no man to till the ground; but a mist went up from the earth and watered the whole face of the ground. And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being."
(Genesis 2:4-7)


"...but a mist went up from the earth and watered the whole face of the ground."


I don't believe I have ever noticed this verse before. The Bible is like that, you know. Let's put it into context.

In Genesis, chapter one, we are told the creation story. Chapter two begins with God's celebration of the Sabbath rest on the seventh day. And then we have verses 4-7 which revisit the thought that there was a time when there was no earth, a time that required a Creator. Even though the Lord created each portion of creation - the sun & moon, the animals, the stars, the seas, vegetation - it still had not rained and there were no people. Verse 5, "For the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the earth, and there was no man to till the ground."

BUT. But there was a mist that came up (like a spring) from the earth to water the ground.

Now, bear with me. I've been doing a whole lot of thinkin' (and by now you know what can happen when I do a whole lot of thinkin'). Here goes...

I began to think about dry and barren times in my life when I needed rain.
Do you know what I mean? Just a few drops of refreshment would be so satisfying. My spirit cried out for a drink of the Living Water, which at times of delirious thirst, seemed so far away .

BUT. But there was a mist that came up (like a spring) from within to water my dehydrated soul.

Before I even had the need, God provided the life-sustaining water through His Spirit within me.
Before YOU even had the need, God provided the life-sustaining water through His Spirit within you.

Sounds a lot like grace, doesn't it?

Grace. Unmerited favor. Undeserved mercy...a gentle mist of life-sustaining love from the Father.

Father, thank You for the refreshing mist when we find ourselves dry and weary. Thank You for the grace when we are waiting for the rain. You never cease to amaze me Lord. Your goodness is overwhelming. We love and appreciate You.

No comments :

Post a Comment