Thursday, December 3, 2015

Finding God's Presence ~ This I Know

by Nan Jones   @NanJonesAuthor


My index finger pressed the power button on the remote as my head plopped back against the sofa cushion. I sat in the soothing light of our Christmas tree, clove and cinnamon scents wafted across the room blending with the aroma from my steaming cup of coffee. It felt good to relax.

The TV came to life. Breaking News lit up the screen and I sat upright as my jaw dropped in horror. America had suffered another mass shooting, this time in San Bernardino, California. How could this be? How can the darkness of evil be oozing across our land at such a rapid rate? How do we wrap our minds around the terror that is gripping the world?

How do we not live in fear?

This I know:

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, says the Lord, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." ~ Revelation 1:8

This I know:

"For I know that my Redeemer lives, and He shall stand at last on the earth; And after my skin is destroyed, this I know, that in my flesh I shall see God." ~ Job 19:25-26

And this I know:

"I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies." ~ Psalm 23:4-5a

God is with His children. Amen? He will never leave us nor forsake us. He is a shield and buckler round about us. And imagine this: the Lord our God prepares a table before us in the presence of our enemies. How many times have I skipped over this verse and thought, "How nice." But, especially in the days we are living, I can see this for the depth it holds. God is with us in the presence of our enemies - there is no separation from Him just because the enemy has us in his sights. The Lord is with us (His Presence surrounding us) at the same time. And not only that, God is preparing a table for us while the enemy is lurking about. I like to think of that as a banqueting table - a celebratory feast - for He is greater than anything we face. Nothing takes Him by surprise.

And we belong to Him.

So even though evil is making a historical mark on the world right now and the enemy of our souls wants us to live in fear with lights gone dim, hold fast to the One who loves you. He is the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. He is our Prince of Peace.

This I know.

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." ~ John 14:27

 Please take a moment to feast at this table:



A Tweetable to Encourage Others

Where is God in the midst of terror? @NanJonesAuthor offers a glimpse. (click to tweet)

~#~

 

No comments :

Post a Comment