Thursday, December 10, 2015

Finding God's Presence ~ Where is God in My Winter Season?

by Nan Jones   @NanJonesAuthor

Long, slender fingers of the aged grapevine arched over one another. Interlocking. Tangling. Even supporting one another in the woven canopy of the grape arbor. Winter's chill had browned and curled the leaves causing most to fall to the ground. Against the sunlit blue of the sky, the vine shone a chestnut color - vibrant as browns go. But on the gray, blustery days of December, the vine's complexion deepened into a richer tone. It couldn't reflect the sun with its attractive hue of chestnut, but something about it's solid strong stance against the bitter cold spoke to me.

On this day of pewter skies and harsh winds, the Lord gave me a glimpse of His ways.

Several birds, all different, flew to the grapevine - perhaps drawn by their Creator. A cardinal perched to rest, lifting its voice in song. A tiny chickadee hopped from limb to limb seeking morsels of goodness left on the vine. The fluttering wings of a nuthatch carried him back and forth between the apple tree and the nest-like weaving of the grapevine tendrils. He eventually settled on the grapevine, perhaps finding respite from the cold wind.

I thought about my own winter season.

I thought about how unlovely I feel, how worthless I feel while there is no fruit on the vine.

But the Lord, in His goodness and mercy, opened my eyes to see.

Fruit is not always visible on the outside.

He showed me that my dormant, winter season is still vibrant with life. He showed me that His Spirit within me exudes my God and draws others to Him. Not for glory. Not for prestige. But for rest. Warmth of overflowing love. A morsel of rich wisdom gleaned from His mighty Word.

Because although I'm in a winter season, like the grapevine, the life-flow of God's Holy Spirit never ceases. His Light within beckons others to come and feast at His table with me.

Jesus said, "I am the vine; you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5)

Abiding in Him. That's where I want to be.

Won't you join me?

A Tweetable to Encourage Others

Where is God in my winter season? @NanJonesAuthor offers a glimpse.(click to tweet)

~#~


No comments :

Post a Comment