Thursday, October 28, 2010

Aspire to Lead a Quiet Life

"That you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your hands, as we commanded you, that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing."
(1 Thessalonians 4:11,12)


"That you also aspire to lead a quiet life..."

Someone I have come to admire in the literary world spoke of this verse in his blog a day or so ago. His name is Chip MacGregor, agent extraordinaire. I have never met him in person, but I know I have seen a glimpse of his heart as I study his blog for writers each week. Chip is a very busy man - busy and successful. The world might say, "A self-made man."

And yet he humbled himself before El Elyon, the God Most High, and recognized God's voice calling to him through the quagmire of endless days.

"That you also aspire to lead a quiet life..."


A quiet life.
These are the words the Holy Spirit impressed on Chip.
And these are the words Chip responded to. He is listening as the Lord reshapes his focus. He is allowing the Lord to fine-tune the purpose of his life's work.

I admire Chip for this.

My own spirit echoes the call for quietness. Not idleness. Certainly not a life laced with laziness and complacency.

No.
A quiet life.
A focused life.
A life reflecting the love of God to a world that knows Him not.

"In returning and rest you shall be saved; In quietness and confidence shall be your strength." (Isaiah 30:15)

Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

Lord, thank You for people in my life like Chip. He has honored you with his obedience. I desire to do the same, Lord. I desire for my life to reflect Your love, Your peace and Your grace. I am so thankful that Chip's words screamed out at me, that You got my attention through someone I admire. Bless him, Lord. And bless my readers as each of us listens for Your gentle whisper hidden beneath layers of noise in our souls. Open our ears that we might hear Your wisdom, your direction and the assurance of Your Presence in our lives. Bless You, Father.

2 comments :

  1. I aspire to lead a quiet life and love a quiet life of peace and reflection, time to enjoy God's Word and the beauty of the world He created. Great job, Nan. Thanks. Blessings, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Barb, my faithful encourager. You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete