Sunday, October 10, 2010

Is There a Better Way to Start the Day?

"The Lord is my shepherd, I have everything I need. He lets me rest in green pastures, He leads me to calm water. He gives me new strength. He leads me on paths that are right for the good of His Name. Even if I walk through a very dark valley, I will not be afraid, because You are with me. Your rod and your walking stick comfort me.

You prepare a meal for me in front of my enemies. You pour oil on my head; You fill my cup to overflowing. Surely Your goodness and love will be with me all my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever."
(Psalm 23, the Inspirational Study Bible by Max Lucado)


I threw you a curve, didn't I? I did it on purpose.


I venture to say that Psalm 23 is one of the most beloved Scriptures ever written. It is filled with comforting words of protection and provision. It is filled with the promises of God.

But, it is WAY too familiar
, I know, because I am also guilty of treating it as something mundane, not intentionally, BUT Psalm 23 quickly flows from our lips by rote. We glaze over it like we are reciting the alphabet. We lose its power, its love.

We lose its reflection of Almighty God.


That's why I copied it from Max Lucado. I wanted to rock your world and cause you to really think about these beautiful words. I wanted each of us to consider the Truths found here the next time we find ourselves PROUDLY saying these words from memory. (Oooo, there's that self-righteousness again.)

Can you think of a better way to start the day?

"The Lord is my Shepherd; I have everything I need..."


Lord, You are so patient and kind with us. Did I mention longsuffering? Forgive us for taking Your awesome Word for granted. I pray that you would help us break the curse of "familiarity" and pour excitement into our bones as we consider Your Word. Thank You for Your Word, Lord. You are mighty and worthy of our praise!

2 comments :

  1. Beautiful. He lets me rest in green pastures in my own yard and leads me beside calm waters of the canal :) for sweet peace and relaxation. No better way to end a day either :) Blessings, Barb

    ReplyDelete