Thursday, October 7, 2010

Carried On His Wings of Love

"He found him in a desert land and in the wasteland, a howling wilderness; He encircled him, He instructed him, He kept him as the apple of His eye. As an eagle stirs up its nest, hovers over its young, spreading out its wings, taking them up, carrying them on its wings, so the Lord alone led him, and there was no foreign god with him."
(Deuteronomy 32:10-12)


These verses are found in the Song of Moses, written and sung by the Israelites as a witness of their understanding of the covenant they held with Almighty God. Verse 10 begins with, "He found him in a desert land..." When put in context, Moses is saying, "God found him (Jacob or Israel) in a desert land."

God found Israel in a desert land, a wasteland, a howling wilderness.

God found US in a desert land, a wasteland, a howling wilderness!


Think of your life before your salvation. Did you live in chaos, confusion...maybe fear?

The original Hebrew word for wasteland is tohu (toh-hoo) meaning "a formless, chaotic mess, a waste, a worthless thing, for no purpose, for nothing...sheer emptiness."

WOW!! Does that describe your heart before you knew Jesus? It does mine. I never went through outward rebellion like many of my friends, but I was a mess on the inside - tohu. I had no self-esteem. I was painfully shy and I was scared of my own shadow! I felt sheer emptiness.

But then I met Jesus and my little world began to change.

Like Israel, God found me there in my wilderness. He circled me, gave me instruction and has kept me as the apple of His eye.

Just like Israel, my Heavenly Father has nurtured me as an eagle cares for its young. He has committed Himself to me, carrying me upon His wings, as I grow toward maturity in my faith.

Isn't this a lovely picture? Take time to picture yourself in His nest, nestled, cared for and, when its time, carried upon His wings of love.

Now, THAT'S a picture!

Lord, I love You and I love the imagery You have given me from the Song of Moses. It is beautiful. Thank you for finding me worthy to receive Your love. Bless You, Father.

2 comments :

  1. Wonderful message Nan!!I can relate to how you felt before you where saved!! I just Thank God for saving me for the peace his has blessed me with and for filling the emptyness, and confusion I once had in my life!! I can also relate to being painfully shy, and lack of self - esteem, I hope I can overcome some of that too! Your such a blessing, tell David we said hi, Love you guys!! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good, Angie...ALL the time!

    ReplyDelete