Friday, October 8, 2010

Longing For Zion in a Foreign Land

"By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept when we remembered Zion. We hung our harps upon the willows in the midst of it. For there those who carried us away captive asked of us a song, and those who plundered us requested mirth, saying, 'Sing us one of the songs of Zion!' How shall we sing the Lord's song in a foreign land? If I forget you O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget its skill! If I do not remember you, let my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth - if I do not exalt Jerusalem above my chief joy."
(Psalm 137:1-6)


The subtitle for this Psalm is "Longing for Zion in a Foreign land." This spoke to me deeply this morning - not because I'm having a bad day. Not because I'm upset about anything. No, it spoke to my SPIRIT as I imagine it will speak to you.

We are living in difficult days, perilous times. Our faith is on the line. God is calling His children to a deeper level of trust and knowledge.

And there are times that I feel like I am a foreigner - a sojourner - in this world. I suppose that's a good thing because God's Word teaches us that we are to be IN this world, but not OF this world. I am thankful that I know the God Who holds me in the palm of His hand. I am thankful that He knows me by name.

But nevertheless, life on this earth can be very challenging. We can feel like a prisoner in our own skin, as our spirits yearn to be free.

Let us be mindful of Zion,
our true home. No matter how overwhelmed we may be, no matter how frustrated or fearful, anxious or even giddy with joy, let us never forget Zion, our forever home.

The Psalmist says in verse 6, "If I do not remember you, let my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth - if I do not exalt Jerusalem above my chief joy."


Set your mind on Jesus, the author and perfecter of your faith. Long for that day when we shall gather around His throne, singing His praise face to glorious face.

Set your mind on things above.


Come quickly, Lord Jesus...come.

Yes, Lord, come quickly. We long to see You face to face. We long to worship You in spirit and truth for the rest of our days, the days which are too many to number. You have clothed us in Righteousness, bathed us in the Blood of the Lamb. You have filled us with Your Holy Spirit. Make us mindful of You. Awaken our spirits to love You more and to anticipate the Day when You come to take Your children home. Oh what a glorious day that will be!

No comments :

Post a Comment