Saturday, October 2, 2010

To Know Jesus is to Know God

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it."
(Matthew 13:45,46)


This parable is nestled in a series of parables Jesus used to teach the mysteries of God. But, before we explore the parable of the Pearl of Great price, as it is called, I wanted to share something I had not noticed before.

Did you know that Jesus spoke to the multitudes in parables to fulfill an Old Testament scripture? I KNOW! I didn't either.

Matthew 13:34 & 35 tells us that Jesus spoke to the multitudes in parables, "that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: 'I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things kept secret from the foundation of the world.' (Psalm 78:2)

And then in verse 36, "Jesus sent the multitude away and went into the house, and His disciples came to Him, saying, "Explain to us the parable..."

I had never realized that some of these parables were given in an intimate setting with His disciples. I love that!!

Jesus wants us to come to Him for understanding. James 1:5 says, let him who lacks wisdom ask of God and He will give it to you liberally. We only need to ask Him. I often pray, "Lord, open my ears that I might hear and my eyes that I might see." And then I sit quietly before Him listening, looking at His written Word.

So, The kingdom of God is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who found the perfect pearl, the one of great price. When he found this pearl, there was no need to keep searching. It held such value that the merchant sold everything he had in order to buy it. He found a great treasure - and he knew it!

Jesus is the perfect pearl - He holds all the mysteries of God.
To know Jesus is to know God.

I love what the cross-reference over to Proverbs 2:1-5 says, "My son, if you receive my words and treasure my commands within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom and apply your heart to understanding; Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her (wisdom - a pearl of great price) as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God."

Seek and you will find.
There is no greater treasure than the Lord Jesus Christ.
In Him, all the mysteries of God are made known.

Lord, Open my ears that I might hear and open my eyes that I might see!! I want to know You more Lord. I don't want to wait to get to heaven to understand the depth of Your love. I want to gain understanding and wisdom now. Help me to unravel Your mysteries. Help me to hunger and thirst after Your Word, to search for the hidden treasures. You are awesome Lord. I love You.

No comments :

Post a Comment