Thursday, September 9, 2010

Are You Looking For Peace?

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
(Philippians 4:6,7)


I'm not sure why, but anxiety seems to be a cross I bear. I genuinely struggle with this issue. But, praise God, he has me on the path to victory.

I am learning to trust and not be afraid.

Do you understand the term, 'supplication'? It is much more than just speaking your requests to your heavenly Father. Supplication suggests engaging in earnest, intense prayer for an extended period of time. It means to fully transfer the burdens of your heart into God's hands.

Makes me think of the phrase, "Praying it through" - not stopping until the peace of God is once again reigning in my heart.

Now, are you ready for something wonderful?

"...and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will GUARD your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Guard. Phroureo (froo-reh-oh), is a military term that refers to a sentinel - a guard - who protects against the enemy!

Like it or not, (and I don't) we are engaged in spiritual warfare at all times. We have an enemy who seeks to destroy us and you can be sure he knows our weakest links.

Anxiety is one of mine.

But this scripture tells me that when I pray - really pray, SUPPLICATE - about the concerns of my heart, the peace of God will stand GUARD over me.

Who is our peace? Jesus. "For He Himself is our peace..." (Ephesians 2:14)

Can you see that picture in your mind? I can picture the Angel of the Lord, Jesus Himself, towering over me, the splendor of His Light bursting through my darkness. I can see Him protecting me, placing Himself between me and the enemy.

And I can hear Him speaking gently to my troubled heart, "Nan, peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)

Child, let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.


Help me, Lord, to fully trust - I mean COMPLETELY trust - in You. Set me free from my anxious ways. Fill me with the peace that passes understanding. I accept Your gift of peace and I choose to learn and grow in my times of prayer with You. You are faithful to Your Word. Lord, I am standing on Your Word that promises Your peace as I earnestly bring my concerns to You with a thankful heart, knowing that You are faithful to hear the cry of my heart. Thank You for encouraging me today. I love You, Lord.

2 comments :

  1. Your blogs are such a blessing!!! Thanks Nan!! Love, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, you are too sweet. Thank you very much and thanks be to God Who encourages each of us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete