Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Listening For His Gentle Whisper

"And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."
(Galatians 5:24,25)


At our moment of salvation we have made a DECISION to not only FOLLOW Jesus, but to begin our TRANSFORMATION in becoming "Christlike" - Christian, Disciple. Sometimes it feels like this transformation takes forever with a lot of bumps and bruises along the way. But...When we accept Jesus as our Savior, forgiveness of sins takes place, a decision of repentance - turning away from sin - takes place and we become a new creature, washed in the blood of Jesus and sealed IN the Holy Spirit.

We begin to LIVE in the Spirit.

Now that we have made the decision to "live in the Spirit" - now comes the hard part: We must also decide to WALK in the Spirit."

It's the difference between Jesus being our Savior and Jesus being our Lord...a BIG DIFFERENCE!!

When we walk in the Spirit, we do not walk in perfection - that is impossible. But to walk in the Spirit, I believe, means to be attuned to His voice, His leadership and then being willing to obey - to submit to His authority in our lives.

Isaiah 30:21 says it this way, "Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, 'This is the way, walk in it,' whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left."

Of course, because of Jesus, we now have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us. His gentle whisper deep within is what we need to listen for. And as we listen, He will steer us to the left or to the right. He will nudge us to give someone an encouraging word. He will ask us to love someone who is unlovely. He may ask us to take groceries or gas money to a needy family...

He may ask us to "Be still and know that He is God."

LIVE in the Spirit.
WALK in the Spirit.
OBEY His sweet voice.


Oh how I love Jesus. Oh how I love Jesus. Oh how I love Jesus, because He first loved me. Lord, You dropped that song in my Spirit and now I understand why. Our relationship is an exchange: You love me, I love You. I speak to You, You listen to me. You speak to me, I listen to You. And I obey Your gentle whispers because I love You and I desire to be transformed by Your Holy Spirit. Take my hand, Precious Lord and lead me on.

No comments :

Post a Comment