Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Shalu Shalom Yerushalayim!

"I cried out to God with my voice - to God with my voice, and He gave ear to me. In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; My hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing; My soul refused to be comforted. I remembered God, and was troubled; I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. SELAH I call to remembrance my song in the night; I meditate within my heart, and my spirit makes diligent search...I will remember the works of the Lord; Surely I will remember Your wonders of old. I will also meditate on all Your work, and talk of Your deeds...You are the God who does wonders; You have declared Your strength among the peoples. You have, with Your arm, redeemed Your people, the sons of Jacob and Joseph. SELAH"
(Psalm 77:1-3,6,11,12,14,15)

I think we sometimes forget that the Bible is full of people just like you and me - people with hopes and dreams, struggles and victories, joy and laughter.

And don't we usually assume the Psalms were written entirely by David as he leaned against a cold stone in a dark cave while hiding from his enemies?! I KNOW!! A lot of them were written in that manner, but not all.

Psalm 77 was written by Asaph, a Levite who was chosen - designated by name - to give thanks to the Lord in the Tabernacle (1 Chronicles 16:41). He was like the choir director of today. AND Asaph gave these words to Jeduthun, the chief musician of the Tabernacle. Jeduthen's job was to put Psalm 77 to music so that it could be incorporated into worship.

My point? Imagine the children of God gathered in the courts of the Tabernacle singing praise to their God. Now imagine yourself in their midst singing Psalm 77 with them, "I cried out to God with my voice - to God with my voice; And He gave ear to me..." Or, maybe you are singing How Great Thou Art or A Mighty Fortress or...

Isn't that a glorious image? Can you feel the Holy Spirit stirring within you as you connect with the ancient people of God? I feel humbled by this relationship.

And encouraged by their journey. It is so much like my own.

How did Asaph overcome his anguish? He REMEMBERED the works and wonders of the Lord. He proclaimed praise to His God, "You are the God Who does wonders; You have declared Your strength among the peoples!"

Throughout the generations the Word of the Lord has endured. It has strengthened and encouraged His people. THAT in itself should empower us to go on. God's Word never fails! He inhabits the praises of His people.

And He understands the hearts of His sons and daughters

The next time you are in church and the choir director stands to lead the congregation in worship, I want you to picture Asaph leading the children of Israel in corporate worship to the same God we love and adore.

Now that will make you think. Right?

Shalu Shalom Yerushalayim! Pray for the peace of Jerusalem!

Lord, thank You for the lessons You teach us through Your ancient people. Their journey of faith is really no different than ours except that through the Blood of Jesus You have made a way for Your Holy Spirit to dwell WITHIN us! Other than that, we are all people of covenant, Jews and Christians. Soften our hearts to understand that You want us to pray for our Jewish brothers and sisters. Open our eyes that we might see. Open our ears that we might hear the voice of our Lord calling in the wilderness to pray for the peace of Jerusalem! Humble us Lord. Strip away the religious pride that keeps us from understanding Your Word, for Your ways are not our ways and Your thoughts are not our thoughts. Lord, I ask You to stir within us a love for Your covenant people, the Jews. Help us to see them through Your eyes of love.

No comments :

Post a Comment