Sunday, September 19, 2010

At the Foot of the Cross

"Now when Jesus was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His name when they saw the signs which He did. But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men, and had no need that anyone should testify of man, for He knew what was in man."
(John 2:23-25)


Does anyone besides me find this interesting? The Scripture says, "But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men..."

What does this mean?

I am certainly no expert, but is it possible that Jesus recognized superficial faith in those people? Verse 23 says they believed in His Name "when they saw the signs which He did."

Maybe Jesus did not commit Himself to them because He recognized their belief came from a core value of "I wonder what He can do for me" rather than understanding the heart of God and a need for a Savior.

In other words, these people were responding to the "Wow" factor instead of to Jesus Himself.

Church, have we been guilty of this? Have we allowed our faith to be flimsy and conditional? Or have we fallen at the foot of the cross, naked and filthy, crying out to a Savior to forgive us and breathe new life into our beings?


I believe God is sifting the Church today. The time for games is over. God is calling us to a deeper walk, a sincere faith...a magnificent journey.

Yes. A MAGNIFICENT journey.

I believe in a God of miracles - always have and always will. My God is omnipotent - all powerful - and I believe He loves to show Himself mighty to His children.

No doubt.

But I also know that God looks on the heart, "For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
(1 Samuel 16:7)

I encourage you to check your heart today, not in a condemning fashion. No. Jesus did not come to condemn us. He came that we might know Him and the Father Who sent Him. He came to set us free! Ask Him to show you any areas that you try to hide from Him - anything that would separate you from His love.

We serve an awesome God.
Our hearts are joined to His unimaginable love.
Blessed is the pure in heart, for he shall see God.

Beloved, dare to fall in love with Jesus again
. It begins with a simple, "Good morning, Lord. I am so thankful You love me...."

Lord, forgive me for the times I take my faith for granted, for the times I wrap it up and tie it with a pretty bow and place it on a shelf for everyone to see. Lord, I want my faith to be so real that I can reach out and touch it! I want it to have deep, deep roots so that even the fiercest storm cannot uproot me. I want my faith to bring You honor and glory all my days. I love You, Lord. You are the cry of my heart. I am so thankful for the sacrifice You made so that I could know You and spend eternity in Your courts. Stir up the faith of Your children.

No comments :

Post a Comment