Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Hymn of Faith

"Though the fig tree may not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines; though the labor of the olive may fail, and the fields yield no food; though the flock may be cut off from the fold, and there be no herd in the stalls - YET I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills."
(Habakkuk 3:17-19)


The subtitle for this passage is, "A Hymn of Faith."

I love that! Habakkuk is making a declaration of His trust and faith in the Lord God - no matter what! His example of faithfulness to his God should grab our attention.

Judah has experienced massive destruction at the hands of the Babylonians and yet Habakkuk comes to the realization that his source of joy is in God and not in his circumstances. Circumstances are temporal. God is eternal - always - forever!

Habakkuk has placed his hope in the Lord.

Oh that we might learn this lesson, dear ones. The joy of the Lord is our strength - our power, our security. Our hope must be placed in Him. Habakkuk's spirit was brought from a place of despair to a place of worship because he yielded his heart to the voice of the Lord. What else did he do? He rejoiced! He took joy in the God of his salvation.

Joy. Gil (geel). This Hebrew word suggests that Habakkuk "danced for joy" or "leaped for joy" because of his relationship with God. He walked in a new understanding because of the difficult situation he found himself in.

He responded to the Lord and was transformed.

We must do the same.

Father, I rejoice in You, O Lord my Savior. You have taken my sorrow and turned it into joy, You have put a song in my heart. Circumstances have not changed. Feelings of being overwhelmed have not changed. But You, Lord, have whispered words of hope and assurance to me. I worship You, Lord. My heart leaps within me at the mention of Your Name. You are precious to me, Lord.

No comments :

Post a Comment