Friday, June 11, 2010

Show Me Your Ways, O Lord

"Show me Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; on You I wait all the day."
(Psalm 25:4,5)

These verses are part of a prayer David prayed for deliverance from his enemies and forgiveness for his sins. In essence, he is cleansing his heart before God and submitting to God's authority.

"Show me Your ways, Lord!" Quite often I pray, "Open my ears, Lord, that I might hear Your voice." I believe that the Lord responds to a heart that desires to obey Him. I believe that WE make the act of obedience to His will complicated, not Him.

When we sit quietly before Him - waiting on Him - when we rid our minds of distractions and truly focus on Jesus, we WILL hear His voice. The Lord promises that "My sheep will know My voice." We learn to recognize it when we spend time with Him and LISTEN.

In my bible, the word 'are' is emphasized: "For You are the God of my salvation." David is proclaiming the authority of God in His life. Not only does this proclamation honor his Lord, I believe it also calms David's restless spirit. Recognition of God's sovereignty keeps everything in perspective - it causes us to remember that He is the One who orchestrates our lives.

Trust Him to show you His ways, the path for your life. Submit to Him, acknowledge His Lordship and then listen.

Yes, sit quietly before Him and listen. SELAH

Lord God, You ARE the God of my salvation! Thank You for teaching me this truth. Thank You for giving me understanding of Your sovereignty and thank You for giving me an obedient heart. I know that an obedient heart is more precious to You than sacrifice. Forgive me for making it complicated. Open my ears to hear your voice and give me courage to respond with confidence and enthusiasm. You are awesome, Lord.

No comments :

Post a Comment