Saturday, June 19, 2010

Overcoming Faith

"For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith. Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?"
(1John 4:3-5)

"And this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith"

These words make me feel empowered, confident, assured - even comforted. It's not because of anything we have done that has given us the victory. It is because of the One in Whom we have believed - the one in Whom we have faith -the One Whom we choose to love.

Do you keep His commandments? That is an expression of your love for Him. Obedience to the Father is a life-changing lesson. Even being aware of this concept is a life-changing lesson. Choosing to obey Him in all things reflects His Lordship in our lives. There is a distinction between 'Savior' and 'Lord'. 'Savior' promises you eternal life. 'Lord' recognizes His authority in your life. Acknowledging His Lordship is HUGE in the life of a Believer.

It is in establishing His Lordship that we begin to overcome.

Faith is belief wrapped up in action. "Faith without works is dead." This faith-driven action proclaims to the world, "I am His! I love Him! He died for my sins and gave me new life! I have picked up my cross and now I am placing my feet in the footprints of my Lord and following Him!"

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." Jesus spoke these words in John 16:33.

He is the One who overcomes. We need only to believe and take hold of His mighty hand.

Lord, teach us to count the cost of discipleship. Teach us to obey you in all things. That seems so impossible, but I know that it begins by obeying You in the little things, first. Then You begin to ask more of us. But it is because of Your love - Your incredible love - that you teach us to obey. I believe that You love to show Yourself mighty in our midst. In my heart, I can see pleasure on Your face when I choose to obey You, count the cost and then find myself wrapped in Your embrace because I chose to honor You. You are an amazing God and I love You very much.

No comments :

Post a Comment