Monday, July 26, 2010

Are You Expecting?

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end. I know that nothing is better for them than to rejoice, and to do good in their lives, and also that every man should eat and drink and enjoy the good of all his labor - it is a gift of God."
(Ecclesiastes 3:11-13)


Are you like me? I like to know what to expect, when, where, how and why! I hate to admit it, but maybe that gives me a sense of control. Ugh! I like solid ground beneath my feet.

I believe, in this passage, Solomon is exhorting the people of God to take a deep breath and relax. Rest in the knowledge that God is God and, if He can put the stars in place, then surely He can orchestrate and define my life. If I know that He is God, isn't that enough?

I need only to trust.

"He has made everything beautiful in its time."


That is so true, isn't it? When we open our hearts to the goodness of God, we can see Him and His handiwork everywhere. Even in our most tragic circumstances, if we take God's hand and look back, we can find beauty in the sorrow, joy in the pain. We can see His Light in our darkness.

"...it is a gift of God."

Thank You for Your gift, Lord. Help us to see Your gift of knowledge, of sovereignty, as an extension of Your love. Why is it so hard for us to relax in this Truth? We want to be the one steering the boat, or at least the one navigating! Forgive us Lord. Forgive us for minimizing You and Your power. Forgive us for not automatically finding Your good in everything. It is so hard, Lord, when we are in the fire! Stir within us the spirit of expectation - looking for and expecting to find Your beauty in all things, according to Your promise. Thank You, Lord. I love You.

No comments :

Post a Comment